Learn how to draw a great looking Rose and Heart with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Rose and Heart.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Looking for the perfect gift for the one you love? Learn how to draw a rose and heart to create a unique card for Valentine's Day, an anniversary, or just to say how much you care.
Have you ever heard this nursery rhyme from 1784?
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
"The rose is red, the violet’s blue
The honey’s sweet, and so are you.
Thou are my love and I am thine;
I drew thee to my Valentine;
The lot was cast and then I drew;
And Fortune said it should be you."
Since that time, the phrase "roses are red, violets are blue" has become a standard for Valentine's Day.
What color will you make the roses on this card? Will they be the classic red, or will you use them to display your unique creativity?
It doesn't matter whether you have any skills or experience in drawing.
This step-by-step tutorial will help you quickly master the rose and heart outline.
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Roses Doodle or Money Rose Drawing tutorials.
See also Simple Instructions for Drawing a Rose.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a a Rose and Heart
How to Draw a Great Looking Rose and Heart for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the rose and heart outline by drawing the heart. Use curved lines to sketch this classic shape. Notice how the lines overlap when the lobes meet.
Then, begin drawing the first petal of the rose. Use a long curved line and double it back upon itself to sketch the edge of the petal.
Easy Rose and Heart Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue drawing the rose, erasing as necessary. Use winding "Y" shaped lines and overlapping curved lines of various lengths.
Easy Rose and Heart Drawing - Step 3
3. Use overlapping curved lines to complete the outline of the rose blossom.
Easy Rose and Heart Drawing - Step 4
4. Next, begin sketching a second rose, erasing as necessary. Again, use overlapping curved lines to create the petals.
Easy Rose and Heart Drawing - Step 5
5. Complete the second rose with a series of curved lines. Don't forget the spiral-shaped line at the center of the flower.
Easy Rose and Heart Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw yet another rosebud at the top of the heart. Use overlapping curved lines to outline the bloom and its petals.
Easy Rose and Heart Drawing - Step 7
7. Detail the coiled petals of the third flower using curved lines. Then, draw large leaves below the heart and flowers. Use curved lines for the leaf veins and to outline the edges of the leaves.
Add More Details to Your Rose and Heart Picture - Step 8
8. Draw more leaves peeking out from the side and top of the heart. For each leaf, use pairs of curved lines that meet at points. Give some a central vein using a third curved line.
Complete the Outline of Your Rose and Heart Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your rose and heart outline by drawing leaves along the remaining side and bottom of the heart. For each leaf, use pairs of curved lines that meet at points. Give some a central vein using a third curved line.
Color Your Rose and Heart Drawing
Color your cartoon of a rose and a heart. We've shaded ours red, with red and yellow roses. Did you know? Red roses can be given to symbolize love, while yellow roses mean friendship.
For more great Roses drawing tutorials, see the 50 Easy to Draw Roses Drawing Tutorials post.
For more easy rose drawing tutorials, see the collection of Drawing Roses: Tips for Beginners.
For all flower drawings, see the For Beginners: Step-by-Step Guides to Draw Flowers page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rose and Heart Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).