Learn how to draw a great looking Balloon Dog with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Balloon Dog.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Would you like to make your own balloon dog? You can learn how to draw a balloon dog with the help of this carnival-themed drawing tutorial. You can take this show on the road when you master this simple balloon dog outline.
No one really knows where balloon dogs first got their start. The ancient Aztecs may have made art from animal bladder balloons.
But by the 1930s, animal-shaped balloons began making the rounds in the U.S.A.
How do you make a balloon animal?
You must use a type of balloon that is different from a normal balloon that you fill with helium and tie to a string. Balloon animal balloons are long and thin, not round.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Balloon dogs and other balloon animals can often be found at circuses, fairs, carnivals, or amusement parks
Sometimes, the balloon artist may place a single kernel of corn inside the balloon used to make a dog.
When complete, the corn is inside the dog's tummy and he is called a "corn dog" - a nod to a snack popular at these events!
Clowns or magicians may make balloon animals at children's birthday parties.
Balloon dogs may be the most well-known, but other balloon animals are also popular. These include snakes, swans, and giraffes.
Did you know? People who make balloon animals are called balloon artists, twisters, or balloon benders.
You, too, can put your art skills to work when you learn how to draw this nostalgic childhood favorite.
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Boxer Dog or Dog Outline Drawing tutorials.
See also, Learning to Draw a Wolf Head.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Balloon Dog
How to Draw a Great Looking Balloon Dog for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the balloon dog outline by drawing an oval or egg shape. This is the balloon dog’s snout. At the tips, enclose two irregular round shapes. This is both the tied end of the balloon and the dog’s nose. Contour the rubber with curved lines.
Easy Balloon Dog Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the first ear of the cartoon balloon dog. Use a long curved line to enclose the irregular oval shape.
Easy Balloon Dog Drawing - Step 3
3. Enclose the shape of the second ear using a curved line.
Easy Balloon Dog Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the next section of the balloon that forms the dog’s neck. Use a long curved line to enclose the partial oval shape.
Easy Balloon Dog Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the balloon animal’s leg. Use a long curved line to enclose the rounded shape.
Easy Balloon Dog Drawing - Step 6
6. Enclose the remaining front leg. Use a curved line to enclose the shape.
Easy Balloon Dog Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the dog’s body and tail. Use a long curved line to enclose each rounded shape. Naturally, the tail is smaller than the other parts of this balloon dog.
Add More Details to Your Balloon Dog Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the first of the rear legs. Use a long curved line, doubled back upon itself, to enclose the shape.
Complete the Outline of Your Balloon Dog Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your balloon dog outline by drawing the final leg and the tip of the tail. Use a curved line to enclose the shape of the leg. For the tail, extend a pair of straight, narrowly spaced parallel lines from the nub or base of the tail. Connect them at the top at a gentle point.
Color Your Balloon Dog Drawing
Color your balloon dog cartoon. Ours is blue. Notice the white streaks that represent shininess and give the balloon animal a three-dimensional appearance. What color will yours be?
For more easy, cartoony drawing tutorials, see the collection of Ideas for Drawing Adorable Cartoons Step-by-Step.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Get Started with Easy Drawing Tutorials for Dogs page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Balloon Dog Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).