Learn how to draw a great looking Dog Outline with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Dog Outline drawing.
Would you like to learn how to draw a dog outline? This easy, step-by-step canine profile drawing tutorial can show you how.
Dog outlines like this one are often found on beware of dog signs. These signs are warnings that a dangerous dog is on the premises. That the dog is there is no accident. Many people keep guard dogs as a deterrent to crime.
Like those on beware of the dog signs, this dog silhouette could be taken as a German shepherd or a Doberman. These breeds are often used as guard dogs. German shepherds are frequently trained to be police dogs as well, and police cars known as K-9 units may display similar signage.
Did you know? In the ruins of the ancient city of Pompeii, archaeologists have discovered mosaics of dogs on leashes.
These may be some of the earliest beware of dog signs ever used! Alternatively, they may have been intended to protect the dog, warning visitors not to step on small house dogs.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Dog Outline
Dog Outline Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin the dog outline by sketching the face. Use one curved line for the forehead, snout, and upper lip. Use another for the lower jaw. Detail the nose with a short line, and draw a small triangle to indicate the eye.
Dog Outline Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, draw the ears using a series of lines that meet at points. Notice that one ear is longer than the other. Then, extend a longer line to trace the back of the neck.
Dog Outline Drawing - Step 3
3. Continue the line of the lower jaw to sketch the front of the neck and chest. On the dog’s back, draw a line to form the shoulder.
Dog Outline Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the first leg. Use a series of curved lines that double back. Notice the shape of the paw and ankle.
Dog Outline Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the remaining foreleg. Again, use a series of curved lines that doubles back upon itself.
Dog Outline Drawing - Step 6
6. From the top of the leg, extend a long curved line to form the belly.
Dog Outline Drawing - Step 7
7. From the shoulder, extend a long curved line to form the dog’s back. Then, use a pair of curved lines that meet at a point to form the tail.
Dog Outline Drawing - Step 8
8. From the belly, extend a long curved line and double it back upon itself to form the rear leg.
Dog Outline Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the dog outline by drawing the final rear leg.
Complete Dog Outline Drawing
Color your cartoon dog outline. Beware of dog and guard dog warning signs, the dog silhouette is usually shaded black. If you want to get creative, add details within the dog outline and shade it to match your favorite breed!
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Easy Dog Art Projects for Kids post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).