Learn how to draw a great looking Betta Fish with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Betta Fish drawing.
Bettas are about 2.5 inches or 6.5 centimeters in length. The males have long flowing fins and bright colors; the females have short fins and often a brown coloration. These fish have a number of fascinating behaviors.
Because they live in slow-moving waters, bettas can breathe air from the surface. This makes them ideal for keeping in small fish bowls. They also build a "bubble nest" for their eggs. The male blows bubbles at the surface of the water and watches over the eggs, catching them in his mouth and returning them to the nest if they fall.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Males are also known for their aggressive displays towards one another. They puff out their gills, spread their fins, and brighten their colors. Never put two males in the same bowl! They will fight to the death.
Would you like to draw a cartoon betta fish? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pen, pencil, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Betta Fish
How to Draw a Great Looking Betta Fish for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by using long curved lines to outline the basic shape of the fish's body. Use a pair of lines that meet in a gentle upturned point to outline the face, nose, and belly. Use another line overlapping the first to form the fish's back.
Easy Betta Fish Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the fish's eye. Use curved lines to outline the shape of the eye and eyelid. Within the eye, draw a large oval with smaller circles and ovals. Shade inside it to form the pupil. Shade a thick, dark curved line above the eye to indicate the eyebrow.
Easy Betta Fish Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a curved line to enclose a partial rounded shape on the front of the face. This is the other eye. Draw a curved line across the top to form the eyelid. Draw a small circle within the eye and shade around it to indicate the pupil. Draw a short, thick curved line above it to form the eyebrow. Then, use two overlapping curved lines to form the smiling mouth.
Easy Betta Fish Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a pair of long wavy lines extending upward from the back. Allow them to come together at a point. This forms the betta's long, flowing dorsal fin.
Easy Betta Fish Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a long curved line from the end of the back and from the end of the belly. This outlines the fish's tail. Draw a wavy line at the base of the tail.
Easy Betta Fish Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a long wavy line or series of lines to connect the two ends of the tail.
Easy Betta Fish Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend a pair of long, wavy lines from the fish's belly and allow them to meet at a point. This forms the fish's anal fin.
Add More Details to Your Betta Fish Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a curved vertical line across the fish's body, distinguishing the head from the body at the operculum or gill cover. Beside this, draw a curved line, and attach the two ends with a series of "U" shaped lines. This indicates the pectoral fin. Finally, extend a pair of curved lines below the head. Draw a wavy line from the body to the tip of each one, forming the pelvic fins.
Complete the Outline of Your Betta Fish Drawing - Step 9
9. Texture the fins and tail with long wavy lines.
Color Your Betta Fish Drawing
Color your betta fish. Males of this species are brightly hued in red, blue, and purple.
Get your schooling from a school of fish! Check out more cartoon animal drawing guides.
For more great Cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy and Fun Cartoons Drawing Ideas post.
Betta Fish Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).