Learn how to draw a great looking Goldfish with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Goldfish.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
The goldfish is an ornamental carp that is often kept in aquariums or in ponds. It was domesticated by the Chinese over 1,000 years ago. Today, goldfish and their relatives can be found all over the world.
Did you know? The wild carp from which goldfish were bred are typically greenish-brown and have long barbels or whiskers on their faces.
Fish with differences in appearance were bred to produce about 125 varieties of goldfish, including comets, veiltails, celestials, and lionheads. If goldfish are returned to the wild, they resume their wild appearance after several generations.
Children around the world often have pet goldfish. They can be found in pet stores and as prizes at county fairs.
This familiar animal has also made its way into popular culture. Appearances in animation include Fish Hooks' Bea Goldfish, Cleo from Disney's Pinocchio, the unnamed goldfish in Cat in the Hat, and Fish Out of Water from Disney's Chicken Little.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cute cartoon goldfish? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You'll also want to use bright colors to shade your goldfish.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Koi Fish, Cartoon Fish, and Orca.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Goldfish
How to Draw a Great Looking Goldfish for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Draw a circle. This forms the shape of the fish's body.
Easy Goldfish Drawing - Step 2
2. Erase one side of the circle and replace it with a curved line, forming a bulge. This is the fish's face.
Easy Goldfish Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a curved line to enclose a rounded shape on top of the circle. This forms the fish's upper fin, known as the dorsal fin.
Easy Goldfish Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend a curved line from the bottom of the fish and double it back upon itself to form a teardrop-like shape. Then, repeat this process with a second line. The second shape should be partially hidden by the first. These are the goldfish's pelvic fins.
Easy Goldfish Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase the side of the circle opposite the fish's face. From the broken line, extend a long, curved line. Draw another curved line, mirroring the first and meeting at a point. This forms the top section of the fish's tail, also called the caudal fin.
Easy Goldfish Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend a curved line from the tail and another from the broken circle. Allow them to diverge before meeting at a point. This completes the fish's tail.
Easy Goldfish Drawing - Step 7
7. Erase a portion of the fish's face to make room for the lips. Draw a sideways heart to fill the opening. Within it, use curved lines to enclose a teardrop shape. Then, use a long, curved line to outline the face and differentiate it from the body. Draw a curved line to indicate the cheek. Then, draw three successively smaller circles to form the eye. Shade between the two smallest to indicate the pupil. Draw the eyebrow using a short, curved line.
Add More Details to Your Goldfish Picture - Step 8
8. Use a curved line to enclose the irregular shape of the pectoral fin. Then, texture the fish's body using overlapping "C" shaped lines. This indicates the texture of the scales.
Complete the Outline of Your Goldfish Drawing - Step 9
9. Continue to detail the fish. Draw a curved line at the base of the tail to separate it from the body. Then, draw curved lines across the tail, dorsal, pectoral, and pelvic fins.
Color Your Goldfish Drawing
Color your goldfish. Many display varying tones of orange, yellow, or red. Some are solid white or solid black. Others have spots.
Fish swim in schools - you can school yourself with our selection of aquatic animal cartoon drawing guides!
For more great Really Easy drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy to Draw Really Easy Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Goldfish Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).