Learn how to draw a great looking Bird of Paradise Flower with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Bird of Paradise Flower.
Would you like to learn how to draw a bird of paradise flower? This easy, step-by-step cartoon flower drawing tutorial can help you master the bird of paradise flower outline.
The bird of paradise flower or crane flower is a tropical plant from South Africa.
It is so named because its open flower resembles a bird in flight - especially the showy tail feathers of the Raggiana bird of paradise.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Some bird of paradise flowers can reach a height of over 30 feet. They are pollinated by sunbirds, a small, colorful bird species with a curved beak.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Bird of Paradise Flower
How to Draw a Great Looking Bird of Paradise Flower for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the bird of paradise flower outline by drawing the first leaf or bract - a specialized leaf at the base of a flower. Use two curved lines that meet at a sharp point.
Easy Bird of Paradise Flower Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw another, larger leaf, again using two curved lines that meet at a point.
Easy Bird of Paradise Flower Drawing - Step 3
3. Detail the leaf. Draw two curved lines down the center to indicate the central vein. Notice how the lines converge but do not meet. Then, draw short curves lines extending from the vein.
Easy Bird of Paradise Flower Drawing - Step 4
4. Continue drawing the bract. Extend a long curved line from the base of the bract.
Easy Bird of Paradise Flower Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a long curved line to draw the top of the bract. From it, extend a pair of curved lines and allow them to meet at a sharp point. This outlines the first of the brightly colored sepals, leaflike structures at the base of a flower.
The specialized sepals of the bird of paradise flower can easily be mistaken for petals.
Easy Bird of Paradise Flower Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw another sepal. Again, extend a pair of curved lines and allow them to meet at a sharp point.
Easy Bird of Paradise Flower Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend another pair of curved lines from the existing sepals and allow them to meet at a point. Draw a curved line from the base of the sepals to a point further along the bract.
Add More Details to Your Bird of Paradise Flower Picture - Step 8
8. Draw more sepals. Extend pairs of curved lines and allow them to meet at sharp points.
Complete the Outline of Your Bird of Paradise Flower Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your bird of paradise flower outline by drawing the fused central petals. For each, extend two curved lines, one longer than the other. Then connect them using another curved line, enclosing the irregular shape in the process.
Color Your Bird of Paradise Flower Drawing
Color your bird of paradise flower cartoon. We've shaded ours realistically with orange sepals with red tips and blue fused central petals.
For more great Plant cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy Plant cartoons Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Bird of Paradise Flower Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).