Learn how to draw a great looking Cartoon Bird with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Cartoon Bird.
"Mr. Bluebird's on my shoulder...
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day!"
- "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah," Disney's Song of the South, 1946
Birds, especially bluebirds, are often used as symbols of spring in art and animation.
Disney, for example, has plenty of examples - Mr. Bluebird from Song of the South, Kessie from Winnie the Pooh, and various unnamed birds seen during Snow White's performance of "Whistle While You Work, Sleeping Beauty's "Once Upon a Dream," or those twitterpated pairs from Bambi.
Spring birds love to sing, and we humans have penned many songs about them.
In addition to those already mentioned, these small creatures take center stage in hits like "Bluebird of Happiness," "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" by the Beach Boys, "(There'll Be Bluebirds Over) The White Cliffs of Dover," and "Voices in the Sky by the Moody Blues.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon bird, the worm's biggest nightmare? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished character.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Bird
How to Draw a Great Looking Cartoon Bird for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the guide lines that will help you sketch the bird's face. First, draw a circle. Then, draw two curved lines across it. These lines should be roughly vertical and horizontal and meet at a perpendicular angle.
Easy Cartoon Bird Drawing - Step 2
2. Use the horizontal guide line to place the eyes. For each eye, draw a series of curved lines, enclosing consecutively smaller rounded shapes on top of the guide line.
Easy Cartoon Bird Drawing - Step 3
3. Where the guide lines cross, draw an inverted egg shape to form the bird's beak. Below the horizontal line, draw a large oval on each side to form the bird's cheeks.
Easy Cartoon Bird Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the vertical guide line. Use curved lines to detail the beak. Notice how the lines divide the oval into upper and lower portions of the beak, as well as the interior of the mouth. Note, too, the pointed tip of the upper beak. Then, use short lines that meet at points to enclose a tuft of feathers on top of the head. Shade short, thick curved lines to form the eyebrows.
Easy Cartoon Bird Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend a long curved line below the head and double it back upon itself to form the body. Further contour the face, drawing curved lines on each side of the beak and between the cheeks, head, and body.
Easy Cartoon Bird Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase guide lines from the face. Extend a long curved line from the body to form the leading edge of the wing. Use a series of "U" shaped lines to draw the large flight feathers, completing the wing. Then, use curved lines to draw feathers on the chest and outline the top of the leg.
Easy Cartoon Bird Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend a curved line to form the top of the remaining wing. Draw overlapping "U" shaped lines to outline the large flight feathers and complete the wing. Erase guide lines for the leg and wing.
Add More Details to Your Cartoon Bird Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved lines to outline the "Y" shape of the feet. Connect them to the body using curved lines to outline the lower leg. Texture the feet with short curved lines, and enclose a sharp triangle at the tip of each toe to form the claw.
Complete the Outline of Your Cartoon Bird Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a series of overlapping "U" shaped lines across each wing to add the texture of feathers. Enclose the tail using several long, overlapping curved lines.
Color Your Cartoon Bird Drawing
Color your cartoon bird. Cheerful spring birds are often depicted as blue with white or cream colored bellies.
For more great Bird drawing tutorials, see the 41 Step-by-Step Bird Drawing Guides post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cartoon Bird Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).