Learn how to draw a great looking Box with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Box drawing.
Boxes or crates such as this one often appear in video games and other media. They may indicate historical timelines or contain useful items and prizes.
Sometimes, they are depicted as containing wild animals. You can learn how to draw a crate that is full of surprises!
Wooden crates have a long history. Containers have long been used for transport. Interestingly, "crates had been used for many years without a clear origin in documented history."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Some of the earliest references in print date from the early twentieth century.
A number of merchandisers have employed the mystique of crates. The nautical Cargo Hold gift shops at Ripley's Aquariums are decorated with crates.
Some crate-shaped toys rock and shake as if something is alive inside. "Crate Creatures Surprise" toys are monsters packaged inside crate-shaped boxes.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Box
How to Draw a Great Looking Box for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by using six straight lines to outline a hexagon shape. It should be an irregular hexagon, with the top and bottom points being more obtuse than the others.
Easy Box Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a straight line or “V” shaped line across five of the corners. These indicate the metal pieces that hold the crate together.
Easy Box Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a triangle near the top of the crate. Then, connect it to three other corners using straight lines. The crate should now be cubical in shape.
Easy Box Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a straight line across three of the corners to contour them. Draw three lines within the central triangle in a starburst shape. Draw one, two, or three small dots on each corner. These are the nails or rivets that hold the crate together.
Easy Box Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a square on one side of the crate. Then, draw straight lines parallel to three sides of the crate.
Easy Box Drawing - Step 6
6. Give the inset square the detail of wooden planks. Draw three diagonal lines from one corner to the other, and a vertical line up one side. Then, band the square with horizontal, parallel lines.
Easy Box Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a square on the near side of the crate. Draw three parallel, diagonal lines across the square. Between them, draw a small circle with a curved line across it. Then, draw a straight, vertical line along one side of the square, and numerous horizontal lines across it.
Add More Details to Your Box Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a diamond shape on the top side of the crate. Draw three straight lines from one corner to the other. Draw a line along one side. Then, band the shape with lines running perpendicular to it.
Complete the Outline of Your Box Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw wavy curved lines across the boards to give them the texture of wood.
Color Your Box Drawing
Color your cartoon crate. Since it is made of wood, brown or tan are natural colors. It could also be painted any color you could imagine!
Box Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).