Learn how to draw a great looking Cartoon Face with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Cartoon Face.
Many beginner artists start with cartoons because they're easy, expressive and made from simple geometric shapes.
As you sharpen your skills, you can tackle more complex drawings, like a realistic woman's face. You'll also learn how to draw more elaborate expressions and facial features.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Since many artists draw cartoons for kids, cartoon faces often look friendly and cheerful. You can do just about anything with this basic cartoon face.
Add clothes, change the hairstyle, make a different expression or simply use the guide as-is for practice.
For an extra challenge, use colored pencils to blend in the shadows and make the drawing more realistic. The best cartoons always have a touch of realism.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Face
How to Draw a Great Looking Cartoon Face for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Start your cartoon face with an oval. Sketch curved lines around the shape, then add another oval inside the eye for the pupil. Draw a third oval inside this shape and cut it out.
Easy Cartoon Face Drawing - Step 2
2. Repeat the previous step. Make sure the curved line on the bottom of the oval faces the other way, like a mirror image.
Easy Cartoon Face Drawing - Step 3
3. Sketch curves above the eyes. For the nose, draw an oval with a curved vertical line on top, like a hook. Use a curved line and dashes for the mouth like you're drawing a cartoon happy face.
Easy Cartoon Face Drawing - Step 4
4. Outline the face with a long loop like a curved V. Draw another loop underneath the mouth with triangles at the edges to outline the teeth.
Easy Cartoon Face Drawing - Step 5
5. Similar to a thinking face, use circles for the ears, then add curves to give them depth. Sketch another curve underneath the mouth.
Easy Cartoon Face Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw two vertical hills on the right. To the left, sketch two wavy hills, then connect them to the body with another line. Add a curve that runs parallel to this line.
Easy Cartoon Face Drawing - Step 7
7. Sketch a swooping line on the top of the head like a wave. Add more loose, sketchy lines to the right.
Add More Details to Your Cartoon Face Picture - Step 8
8. To complete the hair, draw a squiggly line on top of the character's head.
Complete the Outline of Your Cartoon Face Drawing - Step 9
9. Sketch a few wavy lines to give the hair texture.
Color Your Cartoon Face Drawing
Finally, outline your cartoon face with a black marker or pen. Fill in the pupils with black.
Complete your drawing with your favorite hair and skin colors. Use different shades to capture the highlights and shadows. Leave the eyes and teeth white for realism.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cartoon Face Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).