Learn how to draw a great looking Happy Face with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Happy Face.
Would you like to draw cartoon characters with happy, smiling faces? Learn how to draw a happy face with the help of this tutorial.
"Gray skies are gonna clear up,
Put on a happy face;
Brush off the clouds and cheer up,
Put on a happy face.
Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,
It's not your style
You'll look so good that you'll be glad
Ya' decide to smile!"
- "Put on a Happy Face," song by Dick Van Dyke
Happiness is an emotional state that is positive and pleasant. It can range from simple contentment to intense, ecstatic joy. Happiness is a quality of life that people seek relentlessly their whole life long.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Do nice things for others. Cultivate friendships. Be grateful. Set goals. Look for the good in life, and learn to bounce back when things don't go as planned.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Happy Face
How to Draw a Great Looking Happy Face for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. It has been said that a true smile can be seen in the eyes, so that's where we'll begin. First, draw two curved lines to indicate the cheek and bottom of each eye.
Above each line, use another curved line to enclose a partial oval shape. Within this shape, shade a large partial circle to form the pupil.
Easy Happy Face Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, draw a curved line above each eye to indicate the eyelids. Over this, shade a curved shape - pointed on one end and rounded on the other. These are the eyebrows.
Between the eyes, use a series of curved lines to trace the nose. Use one line each for the side of the nose, tip of the nose, and each of the two nostrils. Notice that the lines don't quite touch.
Easy Happy Face Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a long curved line to form the smiling mouth. Place dimples at each corner of the mouth, below the mouth, and on the chin by drawing short curved lines.
Easy Happy Face Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the side of the face using a curved line, and another for the ear. Detail the inside of the ear using additional curved lines.
Easy Happy Face Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the opposite side of the face, a mirror image of the first. Again, use a long curved line for the side of the face and another for the ear. Detail the inside of the ear using additional curved lines.
Easy Happy Face Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw curved lines upward from the ears to begin sketching the top of the head and hair. Draw a curved line above one ear to begin detailing the hair.
Easy Happy Face Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a long curved line above the remaining ear. Then, draw some short curved lines above each ear to indicate the sideburns.
Add More Details to Your Happy Face Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a long curved line across the forehead, connecting the hair on each side. Draw a series of connected lines that meet at jagged points to form the tip of this sweeping lock of hair.
Complete the Outline of Your Happy Face Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a long curved line across the top of the head to complete the outline of the hair. Draw a few curved lines where the sections of hair meet to indicate the part and cowlick.
Then, finish the portrait by drawing the neck. Use a pair of curved lines for this.
Color Your Happy Face Drawing
Color your cartoon boy with a smiling face. Can you use the skills you've just learned to put a happy face on one of our other people drawing guides?
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Happy Face Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).