Create a wonderful Cartoon Man drawing with easy, step-by-step instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
Do you need to create a male character for your comic book or another project? You can use this easy, step-by-step tutorial to learn how to draw a cartoon man outline.
"When I grow up to be a man...
Will I dig the same things that turn me on as a kid?
Will I look back and say that I wish I hadn't done what I did?
Will I joke around and still dig those sounds
When I grow up to be a man?"
- "When I Grow Up to Be a Man," song by the Beach Boys
What do you want to be when you grow up? If you dream of becoming an artist, cartoonist, animator, or graphic designer, you're in the right place. You can hone your skills now by practicing with our simple drawing guides.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
No matter what you want to be, drawing your ideas can help you visualize and achieve your dreams.
Sketch the cartoon boy or man and pretend that he is you 10, 15, or 20 years from today. Give him the tools he needs to do the job you want to do. You can even draw a whole family for him to share his dreams with!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Man
1. Begin drawing your cartoon man outline with a series of curved lines. These lines outline one shoulder and one side of the neck.
2. Draw another series of curved lines to create a mirror image of the first set. You have now outlined the man's neck and shoulders.
3. Next, outline the face. Use a long curved line to sketch the cheeks and chin.
4. Use a "C" shaped line to draw the ear. Detail the inside of the ear with a curved line.
5. Draw the second ear, a mirror image of the first. Again, use a "C" shaped line and detail the inside with a short curved line.
6. Next, draw the man's eyes. Outline the rectangular shapes of the eyes using curved lines. Draw additional curved lines above each eye to indicate the eyelid and eyebrow. Inside the eyes, draw pairs of successively smaller circles. Shade between them to form the pupils.
7. Use curved lines to outline the bridge and tip of the nose, the smiling mouth, the corners of the mouth, and the chin.
8. Next, draw the boy's hair. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to draw the hair that encloses the forehead. Notice the jagged, pointy lock at the front.
Then, sketch the hair on top of the head. Again, note the lines that meet at jagged points, forming tufts of hair.
9. Detail the man's clothing. We're dressing our cartoon man in a suit and tie. Draw a curved line at the base of the neck from the neck of the shirt.
Below it, draw two large "V" shaped lines to indicate the suit. Above these, enclose the triangular collar of the shirt and the pentagon-shaped sections of the necktie. Top each sleeve with a curved line.
Color your cartoon man outline. What will he look like? Will his hair be blond, brown, black, or red? Will he have brown, blue, green, grey, or hazel eyes? What about his clothing?
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).