Learn how to draw a great looking Family with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Family.
"This is my family,
And everyone is special.
This is my family,
We may be big or small.
But we are a family!"
- "This Is My Family," children's song
The family is the basic unit of society.
Families generally consist of adults and children related by genetics, marriage, or adoption, but many families also include close relationships with non-relative members.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Why should you draw a picture of a family?
Before the invention of cameras, drawings were the only way of capturing family portraits.
You can draw a portrait of your family - or even someone else's family - and give it as a gift or send it as a card to the family members, especially on anniversaries or holidays.
If you need more inspiration you can draw you and your squad.
Would you like to draw a loving cartoon family? This easy, step-by-step cartoon character drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished characters.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Family
How to Draw a Great Looking Family for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the father's face. Use curved lines to outline the forehead, ears, and chin. Detail the ears, nose, and mouth with short lines. Outline the double-pointed almond shape of the eyes using two curved lines for each. Then, shade a circle between them to indicate the pupil. Draw a thick curved line above each eye to form the eyebrows.
Easy Family Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a series of long curved lines to outline the father's hair. Then, draw the mother's face. Use curved lines to outline the hair falling to each side of the face, the chin, and the ear. Outline the almond-shaped eyes as you did for the father, and shade a circle within each. Use curved lines to indicate the eyebrows, nose, smiling mouth, and the dimple of the chin.
Easy Family Drawing - Step 3
3. Use curved lines to outline the woman's hair. Erase overlapping lines as necessary. Use curved lines to enclose the man's neck, then draw the shoulders, sleeves, and torso of his t-shirt.
Easy Family Drawing - Step 4
4. Begin drawing the face of the little boy. Outline his hair, face, and ears using curved lines. Draw each of the almond-shaped eyes using two curved lines, and shade a circle between them. Detail the face, using short curved lines to draw the contours of the ears, the eyebrows, the nose, and mouth.
Easy Family Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the boy's neck using two straight lines, and connect them with a curved line. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the father's arm and hand. Then, sketch the boy's sleeve, arm, and torso.
Easy Family Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to draw the remaining arms and shoulders of the three family members.
Easy Family Drawing - Step 7
7. Use curved lines to outline the mother's neck, shoulder, and arm. Then, draw the baby's head. Outline and detail it using curved lines. Draw almond-shaped eyes similar to each of the other family members. Texture the hair with short curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Family Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved lines to sketch the mother's arm and fingers, the baby's t-shirt, and his arms and hands.
Complete the Outline of Your Family Drawing - Step 9
9. Use curved lines to draw the mother's body and dress, her remaining hand, the baby's shorts, his legs, and his tiny feet. Note the short overlapping lines that indicate the baby's small toes.
Color Your Family Drawing
Not all families look the same. You can color your cartoon family so that each character resembles you or someone you love. Do you have more family members than those in this picture? You can learn to draw them, too! For example, you might want to draw a mother and daughter, a little girl, or even your pet dog or cat!
For more great People drawing tutorials, see the 51 Step-by-Step People Drawing Guides post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Family Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).