Learn how to draw a great looking Chicken with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Chicken.
Chickens are symbols of rural life all around the world. You can learn how to draw a chicken with the help of this easy, step-by-step animal drawing tutorial.
This chicken drawing uses simple lines with "U" shaped lines to indicate the feathers. It depicts a hen or female chicken.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
After you finish drawing the chicken, you can create a fun farm scene. Learn how to draw a farm, complete with a red barn and a picket fence.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Chicken
How to Draw a Great Looking Chicken for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon chicken outline by drawing a curved line to form the head and back of the long neck. Near the top of the head, draw several successively smaller circles.
This is the chicken's eye. Shade between the smallest circles to indicate the pupil.
Easy Chicken Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curved lines that meet at gentle points to form the two triangular portions of the chicken's beak. Then, enclose a round shape below the beak.
Above the beak, use a series of "U" shaped lines to form a scalloped shape. These are the chicken's comb.
Easy Chicken Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a series of "U" shaped lines to enclose the feathery bottom of the chicken's neck. Extend a long curved line from the neck. This is the chicken's back.
At the bottom of the back, draw a small "U" shaped feather.
Easy Chicken Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw another "U" shaped line beside the first. Then, connect it to the neck with a long curved line, enclosing the chicken's wing. Texture the wing with connected "U" shaped lines.
Easy Chicken Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend a long curved line from the front of the neck, outlining the chicken's belly.
Easy Chicken Drawing - Step 6
6. Continue the long line using a series of overlapping curved lines. These are the chicken's tail feathers.
Easy Chicken Drawing - Step 7
7. Continue drawing more overlapping tail feather lines. Extend one line to the middle of the wing, completely enclosing the chicken's body.
Add More Details to Your Chicken Picture - Step 8
8. Texture the belly and chest with small, "U" shaped feathers. Then draw the chicken's foot, poised and bent in mid-step. Use overlapping curved lines to sketch the foot.
Then, enclose a pointed, curved claw at the tip of each toe.
Complete the Outline of Your Chicken Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the remaining foot, this time flat on the ground. Use long curved lines that double back on themselves to form the leg and toes. Then, draw curved triangles on the tip of each toe to form the claws.
Color Your Chicken Drawing
Your cartoon chicken outline is now complete. Color your bird - we've colored ours in several shades of brown, with a red comb and yellow beak.
Chickens come in many, many colors. Some are solid white, blond, reddish, cream, gray, or black. Others even have a checkerboard pattern!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Chicken Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).