Learn how to draw a great looking Rooster with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Rooster.
A male chicken is known as a rooster. These animals come in more than 60 different varieties, all descendants of the wild red jungle fowl. They were domesticated by humans thousands of years ago.
The term "rooster" was developed in the United States by the Puritan settlers, who wished to avoid the English terms "cockerel" or "cock," as the rooster was then called.
"Rooster" is derived from the bird's habit of perching in trees or on other objects to sleep at night, known as "roosting."
Roosters are known for their loud crowing, which they begin doing before four months of age. Contrary to popular belief, roosters don't just crow at dawn - many start crowing around midnight, and may crow throughout the day.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The rooster has featured in art, mythology, and symbolism since time immemorial. Today, roosters can be seen on flags, coats of arms, as sports team mascots, and in home decor. Roosters often symbolize early rising or a rural lifestyle.
Famous roosters in popular culture include the Looney Tunes' Foghorn Leghorn, Rock-A-Doodle's Chanticleer, and Alan-A-Dale from Disney's animated cartoon, Robin Hood.
Would you like to draw a cartoon rooster? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Rooster
How to Draw a Great Looking Rooster for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will help you form the rooster's head.
Easy Rooster Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curved lines to draw an irregular lobed shape. This forms the fleshy comb on the top of the rooster's head.
Easy Rooster Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the beak and wattle, erasing as necessary. Draw a teardrop shape to form the beak. Then, draw a curved line down the center of it to separate the upper and lower portions of the beak. Draw a short line at the end, turning the separation into a smile. Then, enclose an inverted heart shape below the beak, forming the fleshy wattle.
Easy Rooster Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the bottom of the original circle, replacing it with a series of curved lines connected at jagged points. This details the feathers of the rooster's neck.
Easy Rooster Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of curved lines to outline and detail the rooster's wing. Notice the overlapping "U" shaped curved lines that indicate the feathers.
Easy Rooster Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to outline the rooster's body. Form the torso using curved lines that don't quite connect but form a semicircle. Connect these lines using "U" shaped lines for the tops of the legs. Enclose the far wing using a curved line.
Easy Rooster Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the rooster's feet. Use pairs of curved lines for the legs, and overlapping "U" shaped lines for the toes. Band the legs with short lines.
Add More Details to Your Rooster Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the rooster's tail. Overlap the feathers, beginning with small feathers at the base. For each feather, use two curved lines that meet at a point. Draw longer feathers near the end of the tail.
Complete the Outline of Your Rooster Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the rooster's face. Draw the eyes using a series of successively smaller ovals for each. Shade between two of the ovals, forming the pupil. Draw curved lines over the eyes to indicate the eyebrows.
Color Your Rooster Drawing
Color your rooster. Roosters are often vibrantly hued in shades of red, orange, blue, and green. Some roosters have other colors and patterns. One example of this is the Dominique rooster, whose feathers are barred in black and white.
Then, check out our cartoon animal drawing guides and fill the barnyard with pigs, sheep, pups, horses, cows, and more!
For more great Bird drawing tutorials, see the 41 Easy Bird Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rooster Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).