Learn how to draw a great looking Chipmunk with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Chipmunk.
Chipmunks are one of the most common rodents in the United States. Many people see chipmunks in their backyard along with birds and squirrels. The distinct brown-and-white stripes in their fur makes chipmunks instantly recognizable.
Chipmunks have large cheek pouches that they use to gather food. Their cute appearance and lively personalities have inspired cartoon characters like Alvin and the Chipmunks. Use this guide to draw your own cartoon chipmunk at home.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
To draw a cartoon chipmunk, you'll need a pencil for the first sketch, then a black pen or marker so you can outline your drawing.
Make sure you have brown pens, colored pencils, markers or crayons so you can color the chipmunk's fur. You can make your chipmunk look realistic or get creative with the colors.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Chipmunk
How to Draw a Great Looking Chipmunk for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Start with a teardrop shape with a filled-in circle inside. Add a loose circle to the right, then sketch a curved line over the shapes that you just drew.
Easy Chipmunk Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a wide U-shape followed by a curved line. On the top of the head, draw half an oval and close it with a straight line to make the right ear.
Repeat the process for the left ear, then draw a curved line for the back of the head.
Easy Chipmunk Drawing - Step 3
3. Sketch a large loop for the body. For the right arm, draw two dashed lines with tufts of fur between them. Draw another line that curves upward and ends with the first finger.
Easy Chipmunk Drawing - Step 4
4. Use thin oval shapes with pointy ends to make the fingers. Make sure the fingers overlap. To draw the nut, draw a large elongated oval that resembles a tongue. Sketch two lines inside the nut to add depth.
Easy Chipmunk Drawing - Step 5
5. Add a few loops inside the nut, then draw a large loop for the top of the left leg. Use curved lines to connect the leg to the rest of the body.
Easy Chipmunk Drawing - Step 6
6. Use short, sketchy lines for the left side of the leg. Make a wide, sweeping line for the bottom of the foot, and use rough triangle shapes for the overlapping toes. Connect the foot to the leg with a slight curve.
Easy Chipmunk Drawing - Step 7
7. Near the left leg, draw a curve that ends in a squiggly line. Use thick ovals to make the toes on the right foot.
Add More Details to Your Chipmunk Picture - Step 8
8. To draw the tail, use curved, squiggly lines like ripples on the surface of a lake. Avoid making the lines too sharp or angular.
Complete the Outline of Your Chipmunk Drawing - Step 9
9. Sketch more lines across the body to give the fur more texture. Use a combination of curved, jagged and squiggly lines.
Color Your Chipmunk Drawing
10. Outline your drawing with a black pen or marker, then erase the pencil lines.
Now that you've completed your cartoon chipmunk, color the fur light brown with tan and dark brown accents. Use rosy pink for the nose and light yellow for the nut.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Chipmunk Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).