Learn how to draw a great looking Mouth and Tongue with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Mouth and Tongue.
You can convey a lot just by drawing a mouth.
Experts report that much of human communication in nonverbal. This means that in addition to words, we frequently "talk" with our hands and our faces, in the form of gestures and facial expressions.
Some such communication is almost universal across cultures; others have different meanings in different places.
What might be a friendly greeting in one culture could be an insult in another. Consider one example.
Have you ever stuck out your tongue at someone? Most children have. In many cultures, this is considered a childish gesture or a mild insult - rudeness, sass, or disrespect.
In some places, however, sticking out the tongue conveys a very demeaning message. In fact, in Italy in 2009, an individual was tried and fined for sticking his tongue out at a neighbor during an argument.
Interestingly though, in the region of Tibet, this facial expression is used as a greeting.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In 1970, the famous rock and roll band known as the Rolling Stones adopted the "tongue and lip design" as their logo. The mouth was used to represent the large, "intense" mouth of the band's lead singer, Mick Jagger.
The extended tongue is said to represent the Hindu goddess Kali, who is sometimes regarded as one of the seven tongues of the fire god Agni.
Why this representation? This "goddess of everlasting energy" is though to "[signify] the use of free expression in their music."
As you can see, this bodily symbol has a multitude of forms and meanings. Would you like to draw a mouth with its tongue sticking out?
Doing so is simple and easy with the help of this step-by-step drawing tutorial.
You will need only a pencil, a good eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to use crayons, markers, colored pencils, or paints to shade your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Mouth and Tongue
How to Draw a Great Looking Mouth and Tongue for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a long, curved line, roughly in the shape of a rounded letter "M." This outlines the top of the upper lip.
Easy Mouth and Tongue Drawing - Step 2
2. Using another long, curved line, outline the bottom lip, fully enclosing the mouth. Notice the bulges near the corners of the mouth.
Easy Mouth and Tongue Drawing - Step 3
3. Within the mouth, draw another curved line that loosely follows the contours of the upper lip. This outlines the bottom side of the lip.
Easy Mouth and Tongue Drawing - Step 4
4. Complete the upper and lower lips by a long, "U" shaped line to enclose the inner mouth, outlining the top of the lower lip as well. Notice how the corners of the mouth include sharp points.
Easy Mouth and Tongue Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw two overlapping curved lines within the open mouth. These lines begin the outline of the tongue.
Easy Mouth and Tongue Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a large "U" shaped line, connecting one side of the tongue to the other. This outlines the extended tongue.
Easy Mouth and Tongue Drawing - Step 7
7. Erase the guide lines from the tongue.
Add More Details to Your Mouth and Tongue Picture - Step 8
8.Sketch in the teeth. To do this, use three lines to enclose a rectangular shape along the bottom of the top lip. Notice that the corners are rounded. Then, draw another rounded rectangular shape next to this one. Continue to add teeth in this way until you reach the side of the mouth.
Complete the Outline of Your Mouth and Tongue Drawing - Step 9
9. Add depth and texture to the tongue by drawing a curved line down the center. Draw curved lines along the tops of each lip to provide a sense of dimension.
Color Your Mouth and Tongue Drawing
10. Color your lips and tongue. These features are most often depicted in shades of red and pink.
For more great Body drawing tutorials, see the 37 Cute Body Drawing Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Mouth and Tongue Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).