Do you like to drink coffee? Surveys have shown that 83 percent of adults in the United States do so regularly. Coffee is one of the most popular drinks in the world, along with water and tea.
Its consumption can be traced to at least the 1400s. Its popularity is due in large part to its caffeine content. Caffeine is a natural chemical called an alkaloid that makes many people feel invigorated, more energetic, or more awake.
Where does coffee come from? An evergreen plant in native to Africa is the source of the seeds, often called beans, that are roasted and ground. The grounds are brewed with hot water to produce the dark colored drink we know as coffee.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Coffee can be prepared and served in many different ways. These include black (with nothing added), hot, or iced, or as espresso, cappuccino, latte, frappuccino, and a variety of other drinks.
Today, coffee is an indelible part of popular culture. Coffee shops such Starbucks dot many street corners, and their logos can be found on kitchen apparel, Christmas tree ornaments, and more.
Toys such as the collectible Shopkins line feature coffee themed characters such as Toffee Coffee and Coffee Drip. Perhaps the most famous cup character is Chip from Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (1991).
Are you thirsty to improve your drawing skills? If you’d like to learn to draw fresh brewed coffee, this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a piece of paper, a pencil, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished drawing. Bottoms up!
Watch 'How to Draw a Coffee Cup Video Tutorial
Like my drawing tutorials? Get more on YouTube:
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Coffee Cup
1. Begin by drawing a horizontal oval. This will form the open rim of the cup.
2. From one side of the oval, begin drawing a curved line roughly parallel to the shape of the oval. Take the line beneath the oval, and connect it on the opposite side. Then, draw two curved lines downward from the sides of the oval, outlining the sides of the cup. Finally, connect these using a curved line.
3. Draw a curved line within the oval, following the curvature of the top of the cup. This indicates the liquid inside the cup. Then, texture the liquid using curved lines of various sizes to indicate ripples.
4. Draw the cup’s handle. You will draw it at an angle to give it a three dimensional appearance. Draw two “C” shaped lines extending from the cup, roughly parallel and with one smaller than the other. Connect them with a curved line at each end. Use another curved line to enclose a curved shape at the top of the handle. Give the handle dimension and depth by drawing a long, curved line across the bottom of the handle.
5. Erase guide lines from the cup’s handle.
6. Draw a saucer beneath the cup. Enclose an oval around the cup’s base; part of the shape will be hidden by the cup itself. Then, draw a long, curved line from one side of the saucer to the other to give it a three dimensional appearance.
7. Draw a small oval around the base of the cup, indicating the indentation of the saucer.
8. Draw curved lines around the top of the saucer, giving it further depth.
9. Draw some coffee beans. Each coffee bean should be round or oval shaped. Add details by drawing lines down the bean, or by enclosing a round shape within it to indicate the split half.
Color your cup and saucer. Coffee mugs come in many colors and designs, so be creative.
Are you hungry for more food drawing fun? You’ll find fruits and veggies among our plant drawing guides, or check out our man-made objects drawing guide, where you’ll find cakes, pizzas, candies, and more.
Thank You for Signing Up!
Your printable PDF drawing guide is ready for downloading:DOWNLOAD THE DRAWING GUIDE
Liked the drawing guide?
Leave a comment below or follow on Pinterest.