Learn how to draw a great looking Compass Rose with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Compass Rose.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"My compass... it tells you how to find your way when you get lost." - John Smith, Pocahontas
The compass rose, also called a wind rose or rose of the winds, is the diagram drawn on the front of a magnetic compass.
It has arrows that outline the four cardinal directions - north, south, east, and west. The compass rose is also pictured on maps and similar charts.
What do you think? Does the compass rose pattern remind you of a flower?
The compass rose is used as a symbol and a logo for many organizations. It is also used to symbolize the different paths a person's life can take or the compass-like guidance of the conscience, that little voice inside your head that tells you right from wrong.
The compass also appears in film, literature, and other elements of popular culture.
For example, in the Disney film Pocahantas, Meeko the raccoon steals a compass from John Smith.
What direction will your life take? Draw a compass to find out!
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Pirate Ship, Viking Ship, and Treasure Chest.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Compass Rose
How to Draw a Great Looking Compass Rose for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a small circle. This forms the center of the compass.
Easy Compass Rose Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend four sets of lines from the compass center. Each set should meet at a sharp point. These are called rays and indicate the four cardinal directions.
Easy Compass Rose Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a straight line down the center of each ray.
Easy Compass Rose Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw two circles around the center of the compass. Notice how they are partially hidden by the rays.
Easy Compass Rose Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw four more rays extending from the center of the compass. First, draw straight lines between the existing rays and the middle circle. Then, extend the lines beyond the outer circle. Allow the lines to meet at a sharp point.
Notice that these rays are shorter than the original rays. They indicate the intercardinal directions.
Easy Compass Rose Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a straight line down the center of each of the remaining rays.
Easy Compass Rose Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a circle that meets the tips of the intercardinal rays. Then, draw another, slightly larger circle just outside it.
Add More Details to Your Compass Rose Picture - Step 8
8. Draw lines across the circle - one at the tip of each intercardinal ray, and halfway between the intra cardinal and cardinal rays.
Complete the Outline of Your Compass Rose Drawing - Step 9
9. Write the abbreviation for each of the cardinal directions at the appropriate ray. Write an "N" for "north" at the top, an "S" for "south" at the bottom, a "W" for "west" to the left, and an "E" for "east" to the right. Notice that the fancy script employs serifs, or short lines, at the ends of each stroke.
Color Your Compass Rose Drawing
Color your compass rose. Traditional colors include blue, red, and gold.
For more great Man-Made cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy to Draw Man-Made cartoons Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Compass Rose Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).