Learn how to draw a great looking Dog Drawing for Kids with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Dog Drawing for Kids drawing.
Would you like to learn how to draw a dog? Create a dog drawing for kids with these step-by-step instructions.
Maybe you're thinking, Drawing a dog seems really hard. I could never do that! But the truth is, you can learn how to draw a dog. We'll show you how.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The following tutorial will guide you step by step. All you will need is a pencil and a sheet of paper.
Take the steps one at a time, and draw the lines and shapes that you see in the picture.
When you move on to a new step, new lines will be highlighted in blue.
Sometimes, you will need to erase lines you drew in a previous step.
When you are done, you can use your crayons, colored pencils, or markers to color your very own cartoon dog.
This dog drawing for kids outline depicts a simple dog that is standing, but you can also learn how to draw a simple dog sitting.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Dog Drawing for Kids
Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin your dog drawing for kids outline by drawing an oval. This will become the cartoon dog’s muzzle or snout. Draw another, smaller, oval within it to form the nose. Sketch a rounded, wide “W” shape below the nose to form the mouth.
Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing - Step 2
2. Use big, upside-down “U” shaped lines to create the spots around the eyes. Use a curved line to enclose a curved shape at the top of each spot. These represent the dog’s eyebrows.
Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a small oval inside a larger oval within each spot. These are the dog’s eyes.
Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the dog’s ears, erasing old lines as necessary. For the near ear, draw a straight line at the top and a big “U” shaped line for the sides and bottom of the ear. Decorate this ear with a spot in the middle.
On the opposite side, outline the ear with a curved line. Use another curved line to outline the collar around the dog’s neck.
Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing - Step 5
5. Outline the dog’s body using two long curved lines. One line should come from the front of the neck, the other from the back.
Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the first of the dog’s legs. Extend a pair of straight lines down from the body. At the bottom, let one of the lines curve and double back upon itself. This forms the round paw and also encloses the leg at the bottom. Detail the toes with a few short lines.
Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the rear leg. Extend two curved lines from the bottom. At the bottom, one should spiral around and form the paw as before. Detail the toes with short lines. Erase the lines of the body from on top of the legs as needed.
Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining legs. Use pairs of straight or curved lines for each. At the bottom, let one leg double back upon itself to form the paw. Detail the toes with short lines.
Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your dog drawing for kids outline by drawing its tail. Extend two curved lines and let them meet at a sharp point. Draw a spot on the dog’s back using a curved line.
Complete Dog Drawing for Kids Drawing
Color your dog cartoon. In our illustration, he is white with brown spots. Other colors may include black, cream, tan, or blue merle, a shade of grey.
Do you think he looks a bit like the Poky Little Puppy?
Another fun and easy dog drawing project for kids is balloon dog drawing.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Easy and Fun Dog Drawing Ideas post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).