Learn how to draw a great looking Dog Head with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Dog Head.
Would you like to learn how to draw a dog head? This easy, step-by-step animal drawing tutorial will help you master the dog head outline.
In some contexts, the term "dog face" is used as an insult. But more often, dogs are used as a symbol of loyalty, protection, and unconditional love.
In ancient times, dogs were associated with certain gods or goddesses. Dogs or hounds also appeared in medieval heraldry.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The dog face is also an emoji. On most devices, it appears as a generic dog of light and dark brown or brown and white. It is used to playfully talk about dogs or as one of the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac.
See also, Simple Steps for Drawing a Wolf Head.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Dog Head
How to Draw a Great Looking Dog Head for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the dog head outline by drawing his expressive eyes. First, use curved lines to outline the gentle teardrop shapes of the eyes, pointed on the outer corners.
Within each eye, draw two large circles, one inside the other. Shade the inner circles to indicate the pupils. Above each eye, indicate the brows by drawing a series of curved lines.
Easy Dog Head Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curved lines to trace the nose. Use a long curved line for the top of the nose, with spirals at each end to indicate the nostrils. Use another curved line for the bottom of the nose, and detail it with a vertical line.
Easy Dog Head Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a wide, curved "W" beneath the nose. Draw another curved line at each end of the "W," and a "U" shaped line beneath it to outline the tongue. Detail the tongue with a curved line down the middle.
Easy Dog Head Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a series of short, curved lines that meet at jagged points on each side of the nose and below the tongue. Above the mouth, draw many small dots to indicate the whiskers.
Easy Dog Head Drawing - Step 5
5. Next, begin to outline the dog face using overlapping long and short lines. For the top of the head and side of the ear, use long lines. Between them, draw a series of pointed and "U" shaped lines.
Easy Dog Head Drawing - Step 6
6. Complete the outline of the ear using a series of long lines that meet at jagged points, lending the appearance of fur.
Easy Dog Head Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining ear. Again, use long and short curved lines that meet at jagged points.
Add More Details to Your Dog Head Picture - Step 8
8. Complete the ear using long lines that meet at jagged points. Then, use overlapping curved lines to draw the furry side of the face between the ear and chin.
Complete the Outline of Your Dog Head Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the dog head outline by drawing furry-textured lines to contour the ears and face. Indicate the neck with curved lines that meet at jagged points.
Color Your Dog Head Drawing
Color your dog face outline. Retrievers may be blonde, black, brown, or reddish in color.
For more easy, cartoony drawing tutorials, see the collection of Easy Cartoon Drawing Activities for Beginners.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Learn How to Draw Dogs with Drawing Tutorials for Kids and Beginners page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Dog Head Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).