Learn how to draw a great looking Fish Tank with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Fish Tank.
Would you like to learn how to draw a fish tank cartoon? This easy, step-by-step cartoon aquarium drawing tutorial will help you master the fish tank outline.
An aquarium or fish tank is a glass box used for holding water, fish, and other living creatures. Aquariums house an entire underwater ecosystem in miniature.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Aquarium keeping has a very long history. The ancient Sumerians built artificial ponds to house fish no later than 4,500 years ago.
The Chinese have also raised fish for thousands of years.
The first glass fish tanks were goldfish bowls created in England during the 1700s. The first modern aquarium was developed in 1832.
Keeping fish is a fun and educational hobby. You can use this tutorial to plan or document your own aquarium.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Fish Tank
How to Draw a Great Looking Fish Tank for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the fish tank outline by drawing a large rectangle. This indicates the front glass of the aquarium.
On top of it, draw a long, narrow trapezoid. This forms the top of the aquarium and gives it a three-dimensional appearance.
Easy Fish Tank Drawing - Step 2
2. Begin creating the underwater scene. Draw small, round, irregular shapes in one corner to indicate a pile of pebbles.
Then, draw a wavy curved line along the bottom of the tank, forming the ground or sediment.
From the back corners of the trapezoid, extend vertical straight lines. These indicate the back corners of the aquarium.
Notice that they don't go all the way down; the empty spaces will soon be filled with other objects.
Easy Fish Tank Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the base of the aquarium. Use straight lines to draw the tops of the sides and the sides and bottom of the front. Then, draw a straight, horizontal line across the top of the base.
Easy Fish Tank Drawing - Step 4
4. Next, draw a castle for the fish to hide in. For the turret or tower, start with the triangle-shaped roof. Then, use curved lines for the sides, midsection, and the "U" shaped windows.
Use curved lines to draw the central section of the castle, noting the large "U" shaped door. Texture the castle with full and partial rectangles, simulating bricks.
Easy Fish Tank Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a watchtower at the top of the castle. Use small trapezoids to create the raised sections of the parapet. Connect them with curved lines, fully enclosing the castle.
Then, begin drawing coral. Use curved lines to enclose the branching, tree-like shape. Finally, sketch sand along the side of the aquarium using a curved line.
Easy Fish Tank Drawing - Step 6
6. Complete the coral, using curved lines. Texture it with small "C" shaped lines. Then, draw the sediment at the back and side of the fish tank using a long curved line.
Easy Fish Tank Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a plant or seaweed. For each leaf, extend two curved lines upward from the sediment.
Allow them to cross back and forth over one another, enclosing several segments, before they finally meet at a point. Use curved lines to enclose and texture a seashell, as well as texturing the sand.
Add More Details to Your Fish Tank Picture - Step 8
8. Introduce the fish into their new home! Use curved lines to sketch the fish's mouth, eye, pectoral fin, body, tail, and dorsal fin.
Texture the fins with curved lines. Then, draw a few circular bubbles so that the fish has plenty of air to breathe.
Complete the Outline of Your Fish Tank Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your fish tank outline by drawing the final fish. Follow the same steps as with the previous fish.
Enclose a few more bubbles, then use wavy lines to sketch a rectangular shape at the top of the tank. This is the waterline.
Color Your Fish Tank Drawing
Color your cartoon aquarium. We've shaded the aquatic residents orange to indicate that they are goldfish.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Fish Tank Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).