Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
"If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair."
- San Francisco by Scott McKenzie
We're drawn to flowers because of their bright colors, their delicate beauty, and their transience - they don't last. "Hippie" and "Boho" styles are especially known for their use of flowers.
You can draw an intricate cartoon flower design. Follow the steps in this cartoon drawing tutorial, using circles and curved lines.
You will only need a pen, pencil, or marker and plenty of crayons or colored pencils with which to color your finished drawing.
What can you use this charming floral cartoon design for? Put it in a frame, send it as a card, or decorate your notebook. The choice is yours.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Floral Design
1. Begin by using a series of connected, curved lines to outline the round center of a flower. Then, use curved lines to outline three wavy petals.
2. Complete the circuit of five petals using wavy curved lines. Draw small lines within the flower's center to give it texture. Next, outline the petals of a nearby flower. For each petal, use one wavy curved line.
3. Draw another flower blossom, this time from a different angle. Use a wavy line to draw a round center between the petals drawn in the previous step. Use wavy curved lines to outline three additional petals around the center. Extend curved lines from the center to indicate the pollen-bearing anthers. Draw a small oval at the end of each other. Beside the flower, extend two curved lines and allow them to meet at a point, forming a leaf.
4. Use five "U" shaped lines to outline another flower above the first two. Draw numerous leaves below them. For each leaf, extend two curved lines and allow them to meet at a point. Now, it's beginning to look like a flower garden!
5. Draw an oval in the center of the daisy flower outlined in the last step. Then, draw leaves beside and above it. For each leaf, extend two curved lines and allow them to meet at a point.
6. Turn some of the leaf-like figures into the petals of another flower. Use a series of connected curved lines and a series of curved lines that meet at points to craft its center and its remaining petals. Then, draw a stem with leaves on it extending above the flowers. Draw a long curved line for the stem. For each leaf, extend two curved lines and allow them to meet at a point.
7. Draw more leaves at the top of the stem. Draw another stem with leaves at the bottom corner of the bouquet. Outline another daisy using a series of "U" shaped lines for the petals and an oval for the center.
8. Continue to extend the bottom stem. Draw more leaves, and another flower with "U" shaped petals and a round center.
9. Extend the stem with leaves still further. Then, bring the drawing to life by adding cartoon butterflies. These simple insects can be drawn using four "U" shaped lines, with the lines of the upper wings being slightly larger than those of the lower wings.
Color your beautiful cartoon flower pattern. Both flowers and butterflies come in many different colors, so be creative. Notice how we've shaded the butterflies to indicate the narrow bodies and the patterns of the wings.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The Complete Floral Design Drawing Tutorial in One Image
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!