Learn how to draw a great looking Horse Outline with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Horse Outline.
Would you like to learn how to draw a horse outline? This cartoon horse outline helps you master the basics of drawing a simple horse.
In this tutorial, you will use long, sweeping lines to create a basic outline of a horse.
Though realistic in shape and in form, this drawing guide cuts out some of the details so that you can complete your horse picture quickly and easily.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The horse was first domesticated around 6,000 years ago. Since then, horses have variously been regarded as working animals, food sources, and treasures - some horses today are valued at millions of dollars!
Horses have also long been a part of our art. They appear on ancient pottery, medieval heraldry, and modern paintings.
Often, horses were drawn in motion, like the one in our illustration - running, leaping, or rearing to fight!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Horse Outline
How to Draw a Great Looking Horse Outline for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the horse outline at the face. Use one curved line for the front of the face, and one at the bottom of the horse's head.
The lines should meet at the mouth. Draw a curved line for the nostril, and use two more for the eye. Draw a circle within a circle inside the eye and shade between them.
Easy Horse Outline Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend a curved line below the head to form the neck. On top of the head, extend a pair of curved lines and allow them to meet at a point.
This forms the horse's ear. Contour the inside of the ear with a curved line. Then, beside it, draw the mane. Use short curved lines that meet at points.
Easy Horse Outline Drawing - Step 3
3. Next, sketch the horse's leg drawn up to its chest. Use curved lines for the shoulder, the front of the leg, the hoof, and the back side of the leg.
Easy Horse Outline Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a line like a checkmark to complete the back of the leg. Then, extend a long line below the leg to trace the horse's stomach.
From this line, extend another long curved line to form the front of the rear leg. Outline the shape of the hoof with another curved line.
Easy Horse Outline Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a long curved line from the ear to the back of the rear hoof, outlining the neck, the back, and the leg in the process.
Then, use another curved line to draw the front of the remaining foreleg.
Easy Horse Outline Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a series of curved lines to draw the back of the front leg and its hoof, as well as the front of the remaining rear leg.
Easy Horse Outline Drawing - Step 7
7. Use curved lines to draw the back of the rear leg and the bottom of its hoof. Then, begin sketching the flowing mane. Use long and short curved lines that meet at points.
Add More Details to Your Horse Outline Picture - Step 8
8. Complete the mane with additional curved lines that meet at points, and begin drawing the long tail in the same way.
Complete the Outline of Your Horse Outline Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the tail with a few more curved lines, texturing both mane and tail.
Color Your Horse Outline Drawing
Color your cartoon horse.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Horse Outline Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).