Draw a great looking Magnifying Glass with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
The magnifying glass or hand lens is a convex optical lens, mounted on a handle and used to visually magnify objects. They are commonly used for reading, examining jewelry, or observing plants and insects.
It is thought that magnifying lenses have been used in the Mediterranean region and the Middle East for millennia. The first definite mention of a magnifying glass can be found in The Clouds by Aristophanes, written in 424 B.C. Today they are common items in homes, classrooms, and even pocket knives.
Magnifying glasses are commonly associated with scientists and detectives, including the famous Sherlock Holmes. He - and those who imitate him - can be identified by his magnifying glass, classic deerstalker hat, and wool trench coat. The magnifying glass is also a Unicode emoji symbol. Websites, apps, and other computer programs often use a magnifying glass image to mark the search bar.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Magnifying glasses are also often pictured in the context of small objects. One example is in the animated film Antz, when a child uses a magnifying glass to focus the rays of the sun on the ant named Z.
Would you like to find all the clues to draw a cartoon magnifying glass? We're on the case with this easy, step-by-step cartoon object drawing tutorial. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Magnifying Glass
1. Begin by drawing a large oval. This outlines the glass itself. Draw a curved line along one side, outlining a narrow crescent shape. This gives the glass a three-dimensional appearance.
2. Draw another, larger, oval around the first. This is the rim that holds the glass. Draw a curved line around the wide side to give the rim a three-dimensional appearance.
3. Draw a "U" shaped line at the base of the rim, erasing as necessary. Draw a "C" shaped line across the open end of the "U."
4. Use a curved line to enclose an elongated rounded shape, forming the handle of the magnifying glass.
5. Draw a series of curved lines across the handle.
6. Use a series of nearly straight lines to enclose a tall, incomplete trapezoid. This will become the letter "A."
7.Use straight lines to complete the outline of the letter "A" and the small triangle at its center.
8.Outline the letter "B," drawing half-circle shapes in its upper and lower portions.
9. Use curved and straight lines to outline the letter "C."
Color your cartoon magnifying glass. It could come in many colors - brown wood, grey metal, or colorful plastic.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Easy and Fun Things to draw Ideas post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).