Learn how to draw a great looking Mermaid with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Mermaid.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Mermaids are legendary beings with the upper body of a human and the tail of a fish or other sea creature. Males of the species were called mermen.
In the earliest myths, merpeople such as Poseidon were sea gods or semi divine beings. European folklore gave mermaids or sirens magical or prophetic abilities.
The mermaids of old were not always regarded as friendly. The sirens were said to live on an island, where they sang with beautiful voices in order to lure sailors to their deaths.
Sights of or gifts from merfolk were through to bring floods, disasters, and shipwreck.
Did you know? Some researchers believe that sightings of the manatee and dugong, ocean-dwelling mammals, could be the source of some of these myths. Perhaps sailors mistook these large animals for beautiful mermaids!
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Perhaps the most famous mermaid of all is Ariel from Disney's The Little Mermaid. This film, in turn, was based on the fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen, in which a mermaid wishes to become human.
Would you like to draw a cartoon mermaid? This easy, step-by-step cartoon character drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pen or pencil and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Poseidon, Mermaid Ariel, and Underwater Scene.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Mermaid
How to Draw a Great Looking Mermaid for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
Easy Mermaid Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, outline the face and hair. Use overlapping curved lines for the hair falling near the face, the ear, and the chin. Then, use short curved lines to form the eyebrows.
Easy Mermaid Drawing - Step 3
3. Outline the mermaid's long, flowing hair. Use overlapping curved lines, allowing some to meet at points. Texture the hair with additional curved lines. Notice that the hair does not connect at the bottom, leaving room for you to draw the body.
Easy Mermaid Drawing - Step 4
4. Texture the hair with more curved lines. Then, begin sketching the neck and shoulders. Use two curved lines to outline the neck, and another for the shoulder and upper arm. Detail the tendons of the neck and the collarbone using curved lines.
Easy Mermaid Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the mermaid's arm. Outline the top and bottom using a pair of curved lines, noting the bend of the elbow. Then, use pairs of curved lines to sketch the palm and fingers. Texture the palm with short lines.
Easy Mermaid Drawing - Step 6
6. Use long curved lines to sketch the remaining arm and shoulder. Draw the hand and fingers using overlapping curved lines.
Easy Mermaid Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the mermaid's bikini made of shells. For each shell, draw a "U" shaped line, and connect the arms of the "U" with a series of smaller "U" shaped lines. Contour the surface of the shell with several curved lines, and use additional lines to connect the shells and form the band around the mermaid's back.
Add More Details to Your Mermaid Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a pair of long curved lines from below the arms to outline the mermaid's torso and the top of her tail. Draw a curved line around her middle to mark the top of her tail, and shade a small oval to indicate the belly button. Use curved lines to complete the outline of the hair.
Complete the Outline of Your Mermaid Drawing - Step 9
9. Continue the lines of the tail, and bring them together at a sharp point. Draw the two tail fins, using a pair of curved lines that meet at a point to form each one.
Color Your Mermaid Drawing
Color your cartoon mermaid, then place her in this underwater scene.
For more great Fantasy drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy and Fun Fantasy Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Mermaid Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).