Learn how to draw a great looking Mummy with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Mummy.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
During the Halloween season, representations of mummies abound. They are featured on decorations, in costumes, in the media - some are seen as charming, others frightening. What is a mummy?
A mummy is, by definition, a body that has been " embalmed, naturally preserved, or treated for burial with preservatives after the manner of the ancient Egyptians."
Mummification prevented natural decay, and was once commonly practiced in Mesopotamia, Europe, China, Central America, and by the Vikings of Scandinavia. Even today, certain religious monks follow strict diets that cause their bodies to become mummies after death.
The practice of mummification has often been linked to religious beliefs. In most cases, it was believed that after death, nobility and royalty would enjoy an afterlife alongside the worldly possessions with which they were buried.
This often included boats, chariots, weapons, jewels, gold, pottery, foodstuffs, and other items that one might need to travel to the afterlife or dwell comfortably there. Animals, servants, guards, and family members were often sacrificed, mummified, and buried alongside the ruler.
The bodies were sealed within elaborate tombs; sometimes, these were assumed to be the houses of the deceased in the afterlife.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The science fiction, horror, and even comedy genres have employed the idea of mummies coming back to life for many years. For example, a novel written in 1827 featured an Egyptian mummy who was brought back to life by scientists in the twenty-second century.
After the advent of motion pictures, Egyptian mummies, still wrapped in burial shrouds, became frightening stock characters, moaning and walking stiffly after centuries in death. Modern films featuring these characters include The Mummy (1999, 2017) and Night at the Museum (2006).
Animation such as the Scooby Doo series brought humor to the living mummy. Usually, Shaggy, Freddy, Velma and the gang discovered that the mummy was a hoax or joke - but sometimes, it was real!
Would you like to draw your own cartoon mummy? This, easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to help.
All you will need is a pencil and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to use crayons, colored pencils, markers, or paints to complete your drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Haunted House, Demon, and Witch.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Mummy
How to Draw a Great Looking Mummy for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an oval. This will form the mummy's head.
Easy Mummy Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend two jointed, curved lines downward from the head. These lines will form the mummy's body and legs.
Easy Mummy Drawing - Step 3
3. Complete the mummy's legs and feet. Notice how the feet end in rounded points.
Easy Mummy Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the mummy's arm. Use two "V" shaped lines to outline the arm. Then, draw the fingers using "U" shaped lines.
Easy Mummy Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the mummy's other hand. Begin by enclosing each finger using an elongated oval. Then, use a long, curved line to enclose the palm and thumb.
Easy Mummy Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the mummy's arm. Enclose a half oval shape above the hand to indicate the shoulder. Use a wide "U" shaped line to form the elbow, with a short, curved line indicating the bend in the arm.
Easy Mummy Drawing - Step 7
7. Detail the mummy's face with eyes and wrappings. For the eyes, draw two short, straight lines with curved tips to indicate the brows. Then, draw curved lines across the face, sometimes parallel and sometimes meeting in points.
Add More Details to Your Mummy Picture - Step 8
8. Continue to draw the mummy's wrappings by crisscrossing his body with curved lines. Don't forget the arms, legs, and feet.
Complete the Outline of Your Mummy Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw wrappings dangling from the mummy's arms. For each, draw a narrow rectangle with rounded corners.
Color Your Mummy Drawing
10. Color your mummy. Why not draw him next to a haunted house or an Egyptian pyramid?
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Cute Drawing Ideas Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Mummy Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).