Learn how to draw a great looking Plague Doctor with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Plague Doctor.
The plague or bubonic plague is a fever caused by a bacterium called Yersinia pestis. It is very contagious, transmitted from rats and mice to humans via the vector of a flea bite.
The plague has caused a number of devastating epidemics throughout history. For example, in the fourteenth century, the Black Death took the lives of one-third of Europe's population.
Plague doctors were physicians who treated people infected with bubonic plague. From the 1600s to the 1800s, some of these doctors wore the characteristic plague mask and waxed robes.
At the time, people had not yet discovered microscopic germs; they thought that disease was spread by "putrid air."
The beaklike mask was filled with aromatics, such as herbs, spices, flowers, and straw, to hide the scent of the ill, supposedly protecting the doctor in the process.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Today, plague doctors are most often seen in steampunk media.
Would you like to draw a cartoon plague doctor? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, pen, or marker and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Plague Doctor
How to Draw a Great Looking Plague Doctor for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by using four curved lines to draw a curved rectangle. This will form the top of the plague doctor's hat.
Easy Plague Doctor Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a long, roughly "S" shaped curved line to draw the brim of the hat. Notice how the top of the "S" contacts the middle of the "S," giving the brim a three-dimensional appearance.
Easy Plague Doctor Drawing - Step 3
3. Use two long, curved lines to outline the birdlike plague mask. Allow the lines to meet at a point. Draw a circle within a circle to indicate the eye opening; shade between the circles. Draw several curved lines running the length of the beak.
Easy Plague Doctor Drawing - Step 4
4. Use curved lines to outline the back of the head and the scarf that is wrapped around the neck. Draw curved lines from the back of the mask to the back of the head, indicating the band used to keep the mask in place. Draw curved lines along the scarf, forming folds in the material.
Easy Plague Doctor Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to draw the arm of the plague doctor's robe. The overlaps indicate folds in the fabric due to the abundance of material. At the bottom of the arm, use curved lines to enclose the shape of the hand and the curved rectangular outline of an open book.
Easy Plague Doctor Drawing - Step 6
6. Use two overlapping curved lines to draw the top of the garment. Draw buttons using small circles.
Easy Plague Doctor Drawing - Step 7
7. Outline the torso and arm using overlapping curved lines. Again, note the folds in the material. Use a curved line to distinguish the belt. Draw vertical lines across it to form the belt buckle. Outline the hand and fingers using curved lines. Then, enclose two partial circles beneath the hand, forming the handle of the lantern. Draw the body of the lantern using a series of rounded rectangular shapes, the central globe of the lantern being the largest. Then, draw pairs of curved lines connecting the upper and lower portions of the lantern.
Add More Details to Your Plague Doctor Picture - Step 8
8. Use a long, curved line to outline the skirt of the plague doctor's robe. Don't forget to draw the remaining side of the belt behind the arm. Draw long, curved lines down the length of the skirt. Use curved lines to enclose the irregular shape of the shoes, and draw short lines across the tops of them to indicate buckles or laces.
Complete the Outline of Your Plague Doctor Drawing - Step 9
9. Use small lines to add detail to the plague doctor’s clothing.
Color Your Plague Doctor Drawing
Color your plague doctor. Then, check out our selection of cartoon character drawing guides to give this doctor patients and onlookers.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Plague Doctor Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).