Learn how to draw a great looking Anubis with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Anubis.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Anubis is the name of an ancient Egyptian god. He is also called Anpu or Inpu. Anubis resembled a man with the head of a dog or jackal.
He was the god of the dead and oversaw funeral rites, mummification, and embalming. He was also a protector of graves or tombs.
He was said to guide the dead to the afterlife and weigh their hearts to determine whether they could enter the underworld.
Paintings of Anubis often render him black in color, symbolic of "regeneration, life, the soil of the Nile River, and the discoloration of the corpse after embalming." His brother Wepwawet, a god of war, was also depicted with a dog's head, but with white or grey fur.
Anubis was one of the most frequent deities to appear in ancient Egyptian art. Sometimes, he was completely a dog in form with no human attributes, as in statues found in the tomb of King Tut.
Many of these artifacts can be viewed in museums around the world.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Anubis often appears in modern works of popular culture, including books, movies, video games, and television series. Unlike Egyptian mythology, he is typically a sinister character with a large army, as, for example, in the film The Mummy Returns.
A Temple of Anubis, complete with statues, appears in the video game Overwatch. Characters based on the deity also feature in many manga and anime cartoons, including Pokémon.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of the ancient Egyptian god Anubis? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Tombstone, Mummy, and Haunted House.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Anubis
How to Draw a Great Looking Anubis for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will help you to form Anubis's head.
Easy Anubis Drawing - Step 2
2. Erase portions of the circle on the top and on one side. In the top opening, draw a curved triangle to represent Anubis's erect ear. Use curved lines to outline a second triangular shape partially hidden by the first. Texture the near ear with curved lines.
Then, use a long, curved line to outline Anubis's snout in the remaining opening. Note the bulge of the nose. Differentiate the upper and lower jaws using a short curved line.
Easy Anubis Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the opposite side of the circle. In its place, use curved lines to enclose an irregular four-sided shape. Draw curved lines across the shape to give it a hair-like texture.
Easy Anubis Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a curved line to enclose the shape of Anubis's neck. Draw several curved lines across the base of the neck, outlining a necklace. Draw and shade small triangles within the upper and lower bands.
Easy Anubis Drawing - Step 5
5. Sketch Anubis's muscular arm. Use overlapping curved lines.
Easy Anubis Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw several curved lines across the bicep muscle of the upper arm. This forms the armlet or armband. Texture the armband with vertical lines between the central lines of the band.
Easy Anubis Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw Anubis's muscular torso. Use curved lines to sculpt the front of the torso, underarm, pectoral muscle, and abdominal muscles.
Add More Details to Your Anubis Picture - Step 8
8. Draw several curved lines between the lower jaw and the chest, forming the opposite side of the hair or headdress.
Complete the Outline of Your Anubis Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail Anubis's face. Use curved lines to outline the eye, pointed at the corners. Draw several successively smaller circles within the eye. Use curved lines to enclose a pointed shape above the eye, forming the eyebrow.
Color Your Anubis Drawing
Color your cartoon of Anubis. Statues of Anubis and paintings in ancient tombs often depict him as dark in color with golden accents.
Then, check out all of our other cartoon character drawing guides.
For more great Fantasy drawing tutorials, see the 51 Easy Fantasy Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Anubis Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).