Learn how to draw a great looking Poppy with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Poppy.
The poppy is a flower native to the northern hemisphere. Poppies have been cultivated by humans for thousands of years for their aesthetic, culinary, and medicinal purposes.
In addition to being a beautiful garden inhabitant, the tiny black poppy seeds are used in cooking, especially in baked goods. Oil is also pressed from the seeds.
Medical pain relievers such as morphine are derived from the milky latex produced by the seed pod of certain varieties. Cultivation of the poppy has a darker side as well. Opium is often abused as a dangerous drug.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
One of the most famous popular culture references to the poppy can be seen in the 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz.
The Wicked Witch of the West tries to use a field of sleep-inducing poppies to prevent Dorothy and her friends from reaching the Emerald City.
Poppies also play a large role in the young adult fiction novel House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer, and its sequel, The Lord of Opium.
"Poppy" has also become a popular name, both legally and as a nickname.
Would you like to draw a poppy flower? This simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial is designed to show you how, using easy to draw lines and shapes.
You will need only a drawing implement, a sheet of paper, and something with which to color your finished drawing.
See also, Guide to Drawing a Sunflower.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Poppy
How to Draw a Great Looking Poppy for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a small oval. Around the oval, draw a series of small, "U" shaped lines, each one connected to the next. This forms the center of the flower.
Easy Poppy Drawing - Step 2
2. Beneath the flower's center, draw a wide "U" shaped line with outward curving tips. Then, connect the tips using a long, wavy line. This forms the first petal of the flower.
Easy Poppy Drawing - Step 3
3. Next, draw a long, curved line outward from the center of the flower. Curve the line downwards, and allow it to take on a wavy appearance. Connect it to the side of the first petal. You have now enclosed the second petal. Add depth to the petal using long, curved lines.
Easy Poppy Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend a long, curved line outward from the flower's center on the opposite side. Again, allow the line to become wavy and turn it toward the first petal. Connect the line to the petal's tip, enclosing a third petal. Add depth to this petal by sketching long and short curved lines along its length.
Easy Poppy Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a wavy line to bridge the gap between the second and third petals, enclosing a fourth petal. Detail this petal, as well as the first petal, with curved lines.
Easy Poppy Drawing - Step 6
6. At the junction of each petal to the one beside it, extend a wavy line from the surface of one petal to another. Repeat at each junction. This indicates the presence of additional petals.
Easy Poppy Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend a pair of long, curved, parallel lines downward from the bloom. This forms the flower's stem.
Add More Details to Your Poppy Picture - Step 8
8. Extend two curved lines from the side of the stem, bringing the lines together in a sharp point. This forms a leaf. Draw the vein of the leaf using a curved line.
Complete the Outline of Your Poppy Drawing - Step 9
9. On the opposite side of the stem, extend three curved lines to form a second leaf.
Color Your Poppy Drawing
10. Color your poppy. The most famous variety is deep red with a black center. However, poppies can come in many colors, such as pink, purple, orange, yellow, or white
Would you like to test your skills with more flower drawing guides? Our helpful tutorials are here to show you how. Soon, you'll be drawing a garden all your own.
For more great Flower drawing tutorials, see the 29 Flower Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
For more easy flower drawing tutorials, see the collection of Flower Drawing Tutorials for Kids.
For all flower drawings, see the Step-by-Step Guides to Draw Flowers with Ease page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Poppy Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).