Learn how to draw a great looking Puppy with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Puppy.
The dog has been called "man's best friend." Dogs were domesticated from the gray wolf thousands of years ago. In the millennia since, dogs have served as companions, guardians, shepherds, and load-bearers for their human friends.
Today, there are more than 400 distinct breeds of dogs. They range in size from tiny chihuahuas to giant great Danes.
Many dogs still go to work, including police dogs, seeing eye dogs, detection dogs, and sled dogs.
One famous puppy similar to that pictured in our drawing guide is the Poky Little Puppy.
This children's book was released in 1942, and as of 2001, it was still the best selling children's book in the United States.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The story tells of a distracted puppy who at first avoids punishment because he is out exploring, but later misses out due to his "pokiness."
In addition to books, the Poky Little Puppy appeared in a television series in the late 1990s.
Would you like to draw this adorable puppy? Now you can, with the help of this simple, step-by-step dog drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished friend.
If you'd like to draw another adorable puppy, take a look at this how to draw cute dog tutorial.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Puppy
How to Draw a Great Looking Puppy for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by using curved lines to sketch an incomplete circle. This will form the puppy's head. Then, use two curved lines to enclose an irregular shape overlapping the side of the circle. This will form the puppy's ear.
Easy Puppy Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a curved line to enclose the irregular shape of the ear on the opposite side.
Easy Puppy Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a long, curved line to form the puppy's back and hip. Then, double the line back upon itself to outline the rear leg and paw. Differentiate the toes by drawing short, curved lines at the tip of the paw.
Easy Puppy Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the foreleg by extending a curved line and doubling it back upon itself. Differentiate the toes by drawing short, curved lines at the tip of the paw. Connect the front and rear legs using a curved line, simultaneously outlining the stomach.
Easy Puppy Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend another curved line from the base of the neck and double it back upon itself, forming the remaining foreleg. Draw short, curved lines at the tip of the paw to differentiate the toes. Then, draw a curved line from the former foreleg to overlap this new foreleg. This forms the dog's chest.
Easy Puppy Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to outline the remaining leg and paw. It can be seen between the previously drawn legs.
Easy Puppy Drawing - Step 7
7. Use two long, curved lines to draw the tail, allowing them to meet at a gentle point.
Add More Details to Your Puppy Picture - Step 8
8. Begin to draw the puppy's face. For each eye, begin with a large circle. Draw a slightly smaller circle and a tiny circle within it. Then shade between the two smaller circles to form the pupil. Above each eye, enclose a curved shape to indicate the eyebrows.
Complete the Outline of Your Puppy Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a rounded, inverted triangle shape to form the nose. Include a small oval within its bounds to give it a shiny, wet texture. Draw a rounded "W" shape beneath it, and enclose the mouth using a "U" shaped line. Use curved lines to draw a tongue within the mouth, and draw dots beneath the nose. Then, draw wavy lines across the face, tail, and body to indicate spots.
Color Your Puppy Drawing
Color your friendly puppy. Spotted dogs come in many colors, including tan, brown, black, white, and grey.
For more great Cute cartoons drawing tutorials, see the 51 Cute cartoons Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Puppy Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).