Learn how to draw a great looking Rainbow Butterfly with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Rainbow Butterfly.
Butterflies come in a rainbow of colors. This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial contains all the colors of the rainbow. It will help you master the rainbow butterfly outline in no time.
Did you know? The beautiful colors on butterflies' wings are made up of tiny scales.
Be careful if you catch a butterfly, because you don't want to rub off the powdery scales with your hand. The butterfly needs them in order to fly!
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to learn how to draw a rainbow butterfly? Grab your crayons and your colored pencils. It's time to sketch a flying flower!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Rainbow Butterfly
How to Draw a Great Looking Rainbow Butterfly for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the rainbow butterfly outline by drawing the butterfly's body. First, draw two small ovals to form the eyes. Use curved lines to enclose a circle around them. This is the butterfly's head.
Then, use curved lines to enclose the oval-shaped thorax or midsection. Extend a curved line below it and double it back on itself.
Easy Rainbow Butterfly Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend two long curved lines from the top of the head, and draw an oval at the end of each. These are the butterfly's club-shaped antennae. Band the midsection with curved lines. Then, extend a long curved line below it and double it back upon itself to enclose the abdomen.
Easy Rainbow Butterfly Drawing - Step 3
3. Use long curved lines to outline the heart like shape of the butterfly's wings.
Easy Rainbow Butterfly Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the wings on the opposite side, a mirror image of the first.
Easy Rainbow Butterfly Drawing - Step 5
5. Next, detail the patterns on the wings. Use wavy curved lines to draw heartlike shapes on the upper and lower wings. Then, connect the two shapes using a partial oval.
Easy Rainbow Butterfly Drawing - Step 6
6. Detail the wings on the opposite side, creating a mirror image of the first pattern.
Easy Rainbow Butterfly Drawing - Step 7
7. Use curved lines to draw additional heart shapes within each of the butterfly's four wings.
Add More Details to Your Rainbow Butterfly Picture - Step 8
8. Enclose more heart shapes and irregular oval shapes on each of the wings.
Complete the Outline of Your Rainbow Butterfly Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your rainbow butterfly outline by drawing small ovals and curved lines within each wing section.
Color Your Rainbow Butterfly Drawing
Color your cartoon of a rainbow-winged butterfly. Remember to use all the colors of the rainbow - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rainbow Butterfly Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).