Learn how to draw a great looking Rainbow Trout with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Rainbow Trout.
Would you like to learn how to draw a rainbow trout? If you're fishing for drawing lessons, you've come to the right place.
Many rainbow trout also live in saltwater, i.e. the ocean. They are called steelheads and weigh up to 55 pounds! Trout are related to salmon.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Their coloring and patterns "vary widely depending on their habitat, age, and spawning condition."
Grab your fishing pole! Cast your line! This easy, step-by-step cartoon fish drawing tutorial will help you master the rainbow trout outline in no time.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Rainbow Trout
How to Draw a Great Looking Rainbow Trout for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the rainbow trout outline by drawing the fish's face. Use a blunt "V" shaped line to outline the face, and draw a "J" shaped line across it. Enclose the eye using a rounded triangle. Shade an oval inside it to indicate the pupil.
Easy Rainbow Trout Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the lower jaw using a rounded "V" shaped line. Then, contour the face, gills, and eye using curved lines.
Easy Rainbow Trout Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a long curved line to draw the fish's back. Draw a short curved line at the base of the head. Beneath the head, use another curved line to enclose a fin, and texture it with short curved lines.
Easy Rainbow Trout Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend a long curved line to sketch the fish's belly. Then, enclose a fin on the back and near the base of the tail. Texture the dorsal fin with short curved lines.
Easy Rainbow Trout Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a short line near the fish's neck. From it, extend a long curved line and double it back upon itself to enclose the pectoral fin. Texture the fin with short lines.
Easy Rainbow Trout Drawing - Step 6
6. Use curved lines to enclose the heart-shaped tail. Draw a wavy line at the base of the tail, then texture the tail with short curved lines.
Easy Rainbow Trout Drawing - Step 7
7. Enclose another pectoral fin below the first, and texture it with short curved lines. Then, use a curved line, doubled back upon itself, to sketch the anal fin near the top of the tail.
Add More Details to Your Rainbow Trout Picture - Step 8
8. Draw another anal fin opposite the first. Then, detail the fish's body with its characteristic stripes. Use long curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Rainbow Trout Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your rainbow trout outline by shading small ovals and circles along its head, body, and tail. These are the fish's spots.
Color Your Rainbow Trout Drawing
Color your cartoon of a rainbow trout. If you'd like to shade your drawing realistically, examine the colors we've used in our example - green, brown, blue, pink, and cream.
The fish is darker on top with a lighter belly; the dark and light sections are separated by the characteristic reddish stripe.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rainbow Trout Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).