Learn how to draw a great looking Rhino with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Rhino.
The rhinoceros family contains some of the largest land animals in the world, including the northern white rhinoceros, southern white rhinoceros, black rhinoceros, Indian rhinoceros, Javan rhinoceros, and Sumatran rhinoceros. They are native to Africa and Asia.
Rhinos are herbivores, meaning they eat plants. In fact, they eat a lot of plants - enough to maintain a bodyweight of three to five tons.
Most are endangered, as they have been hunted for their horn - which is made from keratin, the same substance as our own hair and fingernails.
Their combined population is less than 30,000. Only two female northern white rhinos - and no males of the species - are left in existence.
Did you know? If you have more than one rhinoceros, you can call the group rhinoceroses, rhinoceri, or rhinoceros. They communicate using sounds too low for the human ear to hear.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
At least since the days of the Roman Colosseum, the rhino has been an object of popular culture in the West. Fictional characters include Officer McHorn of Disney's Zootopia and Kifaru of The Lion Guard.
Would you like to draw a cartoon rhino? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Rhino
How to Draw a Great Looking Rhino for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Use a long, curved line to enclose an irregular oval shape. This will become the rhinoceros' head.
Easy Rhino Drawing - Step 2
2. Erase a section of the oval. In its place, enclose two curved triangles, one larger than the other. These are the rhino's horns. Enclose the shape using a curved line, forming the rhino's uniquely shaped lip. Contour the base of the horn using short curved lines.
Easy Rhino Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase another portion of the oval, opening the top of the head to connect to the body. Use a long, curved line to sketch the forehead and shoulder.
Easy Rhino Drawing - Step 4
4. Allow a second long, curved line to overlap the first, meeting at the center of the back. Extend the line to outline the hips, rump, and rear leg. Double it back upon itself to outline the foot and remaining side of the leg. Enclose rounded shapes to indicate the toenails and use short curved lines to differentiate the toes.
Easy Rhino Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a long, curved line to form the rhino's belly. Outline the remaining rear leg using curved lines. Detail the foot with circular toenails and short curved lines.
Easy Rhino Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the rhino's foreleg. Use long curved lines to outline the leg and foot. Detail the foot with round toenails and short, curved lines to differentiate the toes. Then, use curved lines to contour the knee and the folds of skin at the top of the leg.
Easy Rhino Drawing - Step 7
7. Use curved lines to draw the neck and sketch the remaining foreleg. Enclose round toenails at the tip of the foot, and detail the toes using short lines.
Add More Details to Your Rhino Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the rhino's ears. For each, extend a pair of curved lines, and allow them to meet at a gentle point. Use another curved line to enclose a teardrop shape within the ear. Finally, contour the base of the near ear using curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Rhino Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the rhinoceros' face. Enclose round shapes to form the nostril and eye, shading the eye. Contour the rhino's skin using short lines around the nose, eye, and mouth.
Color Your Rhino Drawing
Color your cartoon rhinoceros. Both the white and black rhinos are typically grey in color. Other species may be tan or brown.
It's a jungle out there! Bring home the whole zoo with our collection of cartoon animal drawing guides.
For more great Safari Animals drawing tutorials, see the 31 Simple Safari Animals Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rhino Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).