Learn how to draw a great looking Dead Rose with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Dead Rose drawing.
“The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his twenty-first year. If he could learn to love another, and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time.”
― Narrator, Disney's Beauty and the Beast
Red roses have long been used to symbolize love. But a wilted, dead, or dying rose can mean a fading of hope and love or even the end of life. The most memorable depiction may be the enchanted rose from Beauty and the Beast. It was kept beneath glass to ensure that the last petal would not fall a moment too soon.
Historically, wilted flowers have been used in the vanitas genre of still life art. These paintings consist of "a collection of luxurious, richly-detailed objects, all of which symbolize the brevity of life of the futility of worldly pleasures." Interestingly, Beauty and the Beast is full of other vanitas symbols as well, including clocks, candles, mirrors, broken pottery, books, musical instruments, globes, and chess sets.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of a dead rose? This easy, step-by-step cartoon flower drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your fading flower.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Dead Rose
Dead Rose Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the first petal. Draw a curved line and double it back upon itself to form an inverted teardrop shape. Leave a small section open near the point. Connect the lines with an overlapping wavy line. Then, enclose an irregular shape using a curved line.
Dead Rose Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a long curved line to enclose the shape of the second petal. Detail the tip of the petal with a wavy line. Enclose the third petal using a curved line.
Dead Rose Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the center petals of the rose. Draw a small spiral between the two large petals. Then, draw layers of scalloped wavy lines to indicate many layers of petals.
Dead Rose Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the sepals, the small leaves at the base of the flower. Draw a "U" shaped line. From it, extend pairs of curved lines that meet at sharp points. Notice how on one of the sepals, the lines cross over one another, indicating the dry, twisted shape of the sepal.
Dead Rose Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend a pair of long curved lines from the sepals to form the stem. Connect them at the bottom using a curved line, and draw a small "C" shaped line to contour the round cut. Use pairs of curved lines to enclose small, curved, triangular thorns protruding from the stem. Erase as necessary.
Dead Rose Drawing - Step 6
6. Use overlapping curved lines to outline a leaf on one side of the stem. Draw curved lines to indicate the leaf's central vein.
Dead Rose Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a petal falling from the rose. Use two curved lines connected at a gentle point on one end and by a scalloped line on the other. Texture the petal with several curved lines.
Dead Rose Drawing - Step 8
8. Draw several petals lying on the surface beneath the rose. Outline each using curved and scalloped lines. Texture the petals with curved lines.
Dead Rose Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw more petals lying on the ground. Outline each with curved lines, and texture them with additional curved lines.
Complete Dead Rose Drawing
Color your cartoon rose. Roses may be red, pink, orange, yellow, white, blue, or even purplish black.
Then, check out our cartoon flower drawing guides for more garden inspiration.
For more great Flower drawing tutorials, see the 29 Easy Flower Drawing Tutorials post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).