Learn how to draw a great looking Dead Rose with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Dead Rose.
“The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his twenty-first year.
If he could learn to love another, and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken.
If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time.”
― Narrator, Disney's Beauty and the Beast
Red roses have long been used to symbolize love. But a wilted, dead, or dying rose can mean a fading of hope and love or even the end of life.
Historically, wilted flowers have been used in the vanitas genre of still life art. These paintings consist of "a collection of luxurious, richly-detailed objects, all of which symbolize the brevity of life of the futility of worldly pleasures."
Interestingly, Beauty and the Beast is full of other vanitas symbols as well, including clocks, candles, mirrors, broken pottery, books, musical instruments, globes, and chess sets.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of a dead rose? This easy, step-by-step cartoon flower drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your fading flower.
See also For Kids: Learn to Draw a Rose.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Dead Rose
How to Draw a Great Looking Dead Rose for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the first petal. Draw a curved line and double it back upon itself to form an inverted teardrop shape. Leave a small section open near the point. Connect the lines with an overlapping wavy line. Then, enclose an irregular shape using a curved line.
Easy Dead Rose Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a long curved line to enclose the shape of the second petal. Detail the tip of the petal with a wavy line. Enclose the third petal using a curved line.
Easy Dead Rose Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the center petals of the rose. Draw a small spiral between the two large petals. Then, draw layers of scalloped wavy lines to indicate many layers of petals.
Easy Dead Rose Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the sepals, the small leaves at the base of the flower. Draw a "U" shaped line. From it, extend pairs of curved lines that meet at sharp points. Notice how on one of the sepals, the lines cross over one another, indicating the dry, twisted shape of the sepal.
Easy Dead Rose Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend a pair of long curved lines from the sepals to form the stem. Connect them at the bottom using a curved line, and draw a small "C" shaped line to contour the round cut. Use pairs of curved lines to enclose small, curved, triangular thorns protruding from the stem. Erase as necessary.
Easy Dead Rose Drawing - Step 6
6. Use overlapping curved lines to outline a leaf on one side of the stem. Draw curved lines to indicate the leaf's central vein.
Easy Dead Rose Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a petal falling from the rose. Use two curved lines connected at a gentle point on one end and by a scalloped line on the other. Texture the petal with several curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Dead Rose Picture - Step 8
8. Draw several petals lying on the surface beneath the rose. Outline each using curved and scalloped lines. Texture the petals with curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Dead Rose Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw more petals lying on the ground. Outline each with curved lines, and texture them with additional curved lines.
Color Your Dead Rose Drawing
Color your cartoon rose. Roses may be red, pink, orange, yellow, white, blue, or even purplish black.
Then, check out our cartoon flower drawing guides for more garden inspiration.
For more great Flower drawing tutorials, see the 29 Easy Flower Drawing Tutorials post.
For more easy rose drawing tutorials, see the collection of For Kids: Easy Ways to Draw Roses.
For all flower drawings, see the For Kids: Fun Tutorials to Help You Draw Flowers page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Dead Rose Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).