Learn how to draw a great looking Sacred Heart with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Sacred Heart.
The design varies, but a Sacred Heart drawing typically features a heart with a cross and crown of thorns with a fire crackling in the background.
The Sacred Heart is a symbol that frequently appears in the Catholic faith. Catholics believe that the Sacred Heart represents God's love for humanity.
While the Sacred Heart often appears in classic paintings, you can draw a cartoon Sacred Heart at home that doesn't have to be photorealistic.
Sketch the Heart with a pencil, not a pen--you'll have to erase extra lines when you draw overlapping shapes. Afterward, outline your Sacred Heart with a pen or marker before coloring the drawing.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
When you're done, use paint, colored pencils, markers, gel pens, or oil pastels to color the outline.
You could also leave the drawing black and white and shade the heart with crosshatching techniques.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Sacred Heart
How to Draw a Great Looking Sacred Heart for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Start with a large heart shape that takes up the bottom half of the page. Draw a cross on top of the heart.
Easy Sacred Heart Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a squiggly line in front of the heart, then add another squiggly line underneath to make a shape that looks like a snake. Make sure the shape overlaps the heart.
Easy Sacred Heart Drawing - Step 3
3. Repeat this process with another snake shape that weaves in and out like a ribbon.
Easy Sacred Heart Drawing - Step 4
4. Add a third shape that weaves between the first two shapes. Make sure that it overlaps one shape and slides under the other to create a "woven" appearance.
Easy Sacred Heart Drawing - Step 5
5. Use triangles to sketch thorns on the shapes. Don't worry about making them perfectly spaced or even.
Easy Sacred Heart Drawing - Step 6
6. Sketch more thorns to complete the wreath. Make sure the thorns don't overlap each other.
Easy Sacred Heart Drawing - Step 7
7. Starting on the right, sketch curved lines that end in a point and trail downward, then curve upward again to make flames. Draw the flames in a loose, expressive manner.
Add More Details to Your Sacred Heart Picture - Step 8
8. Repeat the last step to complete the flames. Use more curved lines to draw loose, uneven shapes around the flaming cross. Sketch an elongated shape near the bottom of the heart.
Complete the Outline of Your Sacred Heart Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw raindrops around the bottom of the heart. For added realism, draw two ovals and connect them to the heart with curved lines to make "dripping" shapes.
Color Your Sacred Heart Drawing
Outline your cartoon sacred heart with a black pen, marker or colored pencil.
Use reddish-pink to color your cartoon sacred heart, with darker shades for the shadows and orangish-pink for the firelight at the top. Color the thorns with light brown. Make the cross golden yellow with orange flames in the background.
For more great Heart drawing tutorials, see the 36 Easy Heart Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Sacred Heart Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).