Draw a great looking Heart Pixel Art with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
Would you like to learn how to draw in the popular, video game-inspired pixel art style? A heart is a simple shape that represents a good place to start.
You can learn how to draw a heart pixel art with the help of this pixel art drawing tutorial.
Pixel art captures the nostalgia of classic video games. Unlike the sleek, computer-animated games of today, early video games employed blocks of color called pixels to create simple objects and characters.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
How are hearts used in video games? One common use is to represent lives or health. Often, your character's status bar may show hearts or partial hearts of different colors to alert you to your character's vitality or the danger of losing a life. Zelda was the first game to use the heart in this way.
Hearts may also be used in the way that they have in other art forms for centuries - as a symbol of love or contentment.
Examples of this include hearts indicating romantic attachment between characters in The Sims and hearts that indicate happiness with an environment or food source in Zoo Tycoon.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Heart Pixel Art
1. Shade two squares horizontally. Then, shade two single squares on each side of the first line, connected diagonally at the corners.
2. Outline one of the lobes of the heart. Shade a horizontal series of six blocks at the top, a single block, then two vertical blocks.
3. Continue to outline the side of the heart. Shade a vertical column of six blocks, and two columns of two blocks, connected at the corners.
4. Continue the side of the heart. Draw a series of single blocks connected diagonally at the corners.
5. Shade one more single square followed by a row of two squares to create the point at the bottom of the heart. Then, begin drawing a series of single squares, connected diagonally at the corners, to outline the remaining side.
6. Continue to draw single squares, followed by a column of two squares.
7. Curve the side of the heart by drawing a column of two squares, one of six squares, and another of two squares.
8. Complete the outline of the heart. Use a single square and a row of six squares to enclose the remaining lobe.
Then, on the first lobe, enclose but do not shade a "V" shaped segment of three squares with a single square on one corner. This denotes shininess and gives the heart a three-dimensional appearance.
9. Outline but do not shade a thick zigzag shape on the remaining lobe. Again, this shininess gives the heart depth and makes it appear three-dimensional.
Color your cartoon pixel art heart. Will it be red to indicate good health? Or one of the many shades present on your emoji keyboard? The choice is yours.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).