Learn how to draw a great looking Saurolophus with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Saurolophus.
Do you love dinosaurs? You can learn how to draw a Saurolophus with the help of this easy, step-by-step cartoon dinosaur drawing guide.
Unlike many dinosaur drawings, you won’t see any sharp teeth here. That is because Saurolophus was a herbivore - a plant-eater.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
These gentle plant-eaters were often the prey of larger carnivorous drawings. You can make a dramatic scene when you learn how to draw a Tyrannosaurus rex.
Saurolophus is often confused with Parasaurolophus. Saurolophus was the smaller of the two. Its head crest was smaller, and it lived at an earlier time. You can learn how to draw Parasaurolophus here.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Saurolophus
How to Draw a Great Looking Saurolophus for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the Saurolophus outline by sketching the dinosaur’s face. Use a curved line, doubled back on itself, for the snout, and detail it with another curved line.
Enclose the rounded shape of the eye and shade a small oval within it to indicate the pupil. Draw a short curved line above the eye.
Easy Saurolophus Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a curved line, doubled back on itself, to trace the triangular crest on the top of the head. Also use curved lines for the nostril, lower jaw, and front of the neck.
Easy Saurolophus Drawing - Step 3
3. Use curved lines for the back of the head and neck, the chest, and the forearm. Enclose an oval-shaped claw at the end of the first finger.
Easy Saurolophus Drawing - Step 4
4. Use overlapping curved lines to complete the fingers of the forearm. Enclose oval-shaped claws on each.
Then, use curved lines to sketch the belly and rear leg. Draw an oval-shaped claw on the tip of the first toe as well.
Easy Saurolophus Drawing - Step 5
5. Complete the rear foot using curved lines and rounded triangles. Then, extend two curved lines from the chest to begin sketching the remaining forearm.
Easy Saurolophus Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the hand using overlapping curved lines and small ovals. Then, extend two curved lines from the belly to form the remaining rear leg.
Easy Saurolophus Drawing - Step 7
7. Use overlapping curved lines and rounded triangles to complete the remaining rear foot and its claws.
Add More Details to Your Saurolophus Picture - Step 8
8. Continue the line of the neck to outline the animal’s back and the top of its tail. Extend another line from the back of the leg to meet the tip of the tail at a point, completely enclosing it.
Complete the Outline of Your Saurolophus Drawing - Step 9
9. Contour the muscles and skin of the dinosaur using curved lines.
Color Your Saurolophus Drawing
Your Saurolophus outline is now complete. Color your cartoon dinosaur. We’ve colored ours in shades of brown, but you can use any colors you’d like.
For more great reptile drawing tutorials, see the collection of Step-by-Step Reptile Drawings.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Saurolophus Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).