Learn how to draw a great looking Scorpion with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Scorpion.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
More than 1,500 species of scorpions are found across the globe. These arachnids - relatives of the spider - range in size from less that half an inch in length to well over eight inches.
One extinct species known from fossils was over three feet long. The ancient Greeks named one of the constellations after this animal.
Scorpions pack a punch in a fashion unique in the animal kingdom. Rather than biting, scorpions have a stinger at the end of a curved, movable tail, with which they strike out at prey or danger.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Should you be afraid of scorpions? Most are no more harmful than a honey bee, but about 25 species are dangerous to humans. As with any wild animal, scorpions should be given plenty of space and treated with respect.
Another interesting feature of scorpions is the raising of young. Unlike most invertebrates, scorpions give birth to live young rather than laying eggs.
The babies, called a litter, crawl onto the mother's back. The young may hitch a ride in this way for several months, until they are old enough to take care of themselves.
Would you like to draw a scorpion? Doing so is simple with the help of this easy drawing tutorial. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
You may also wish to use crayons, markers, paints, or colored pencils to shade your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Desert, Cactus, and Wolf.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Scorpion
How to Draw a Great Looking Scorpion for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an elongated oval. This will outline the scorpion's body.
Easy Scorpion Drawing - Step 2
2. Band the body with curved lines. Then, draw a pointed, curved line at the front of the oval, and slightly curved lines at the back. These will serve as guide lines when you erase to contour the body.
Easy Scorpion Drawing - Step 3
3. Contour the shape of the body by erasing portions of the original oval.
Easy Scorpion Drawing - Step 4
4. Add more detail to the body. Band it with additional curved lines. On the abdomen, or rear section, use perpendicular lines as well.
Easy Scorpion Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the scorpion's arms and mouth. In the "W" shaped curve of the face, enclose small triangles. Beyond this, enclose elongated, curved shapes. Then, extend sets of curved lines outward from the face. Enclose these at the end using curved lines.
Easy Scorpion Drawing - Step 6
6. Add the next section of the arms. Use pairs of curved lines. Then, use a series of curved lines to enclose the claw. Notice the rounded bulge at the claw's base, its jagged upper pincer, and pointed tips.
Easy Scorpion Drawing - Step 7
7. Next, draw the scorpion's legs. Each leg consists of three sections, each shorter and thinner than the last. Use pairs of curved lines to craft each section. Scorpions are arachnids, so they have eight legs - four on each side.
Add More Details to Your Scorpion Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the legs on the opposite side. Notice that the foremost legs are much the same as on the other side, but that the back legs are curved away from the observer.
Complete the Outline of Your Scorpion Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the scorpion's stinging tail. The tail consists of several rounded sections. Sketch the tail by adding one irregular rounded shape at a time. When you reach the tip, add two curved lines that meet in a sharp point to form the stinger.
Color Your Scorpion Drawing
10. Color your scorpion. These creatures are often shaded in combinations of black, brown, tan, and red. Under a black light, however, most scorpions glow bright blue.
Scorpions live in a variety of habitats, from dense jungles to urban neighborhoods. Most often, however, they are associated with the desert. Use our other handy drawing guides to give your scorpion a desert environment, complete with cacti, coyotes, and a cowboy's horse.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Scorpion Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).