Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Yee-haw! Would you like to learn how to draw a cartoon horse? You'll be roping and riding in no time when you master this cartoon horse outline, with the help of our step-by-step drawing tutorial.
Almost every kid goes through a horse phase. Have you? Do you dream of owning and riding your own faithful steed?
Whether you live on a farm or in the city, you can learn how to draw this magnificent animal. Horses have captivated our imaginations and captured our hearts for millennia. After all, they were domesticated around 6,000 years ago, and they've had a role in human life ever since.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Have you read books or watched movies about fictional horses? Black Beauty, the Black Stallion, Spirit, Rain, Khan, Flicka - there are too many to name. Some stories are even about real horses, like Seabiscuit.
This horse is drawn in the cute style of My Little Pony. Will you let her brighten your day?
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Horse
1. Begin the cartoon horse outline by drawing the face. Use a curved line to outline the snout, noting the contours of the nostrils and lip. Use a curved line and a small shaded teardrop to draw the nostril.
Outline the eye using curved lines; note the lines of the eyelid and eyebrow. Draw and shade a partial circle inside the eye to indicate the pupil.
2. Use a long curved line to sketch the horse's lower lip and jaw. At the top of the head, extend a pair of curved lines and allow them to meet at a point, forming the ear.
Then, use curved lines of different lengths to enclose the front of the mane. The lines should meet at curved, jagged points.
3. Draw the remaining ear on the opposite side of the mane, again using two curved lines that meet at a point. Contour the near ear with a curved line. Then, draw the long hair of the mane as it flows down the neck. Use curved lines of various lengths that meet at sharp, jagged points.
4. Extend a long curved line below the head to outline the neck and chest. Extend another long, curved line overlapping this one, and double it back upon itself to form the leg. Draw a curved line near the bottom of the leg to indicate the hoof.
5. From the mane, extend another long, curved line to trace the horse's back and rump. Double it back upon itself to form the rear leg. Draw a curved line near the bottom of the leg to indicate the hoof.
6. Draw the remaining foreleg, raised and bent at the knee. For this leg also, extend a curved line and double it back upon itself. Draw a curved line near the bottom of the leg to indicate the hoof. Draw a curved line between the tops of the front and rear leg to form the horse's belly.
7. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the rear leg, also bent and raised from the ground. Draw a curved line near the bottom of the leg to indicate the hoof.
8. Draw the horse's flowing tail. Use curved lines of various lengths that meet at jagged points.
9. Complete the cartoon horse outline by texturing the mane and tail with curved lines.
Color your cartoon horse. We've given our drawing a brown mane and a blonde fur, an uncommon but majestic coloration. Horses can be white, black, brown, grey, tan, cream, or even red. They can also have spots, speckles, stars, blazes, stockings, or socks.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).