Learn how to draw a great looking Shiba Inu with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Shiba Inu.
The Shiba Inu was first bred in Japan around 3,000 years ago. The Shiba Inu is a hunting dog, used for catching small animals and ground-dwelling birds. It is known for its screaming bark and concentrated loyalty to its master.
During World War II, the breed nearly died out due to starvation, disease, and the cross-breeding of the Shiba Inu with western dogs.
Enthusiasts worked hard to preserve the three remaining bloodlines. During the 1950s, the first Shiba Inu was brought to North America. Today, it is a popular pet and companion dog around the world.
Did you know? Inu is the Japanese word for "dog." Shiba refers to small trees or shrubs that turn red in the fall. This naming could refer to the mountainous hunting terrain or to the dog's typically red coat.
In one dialect, shiba can also mean "small," and may refer to the animal's size.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw an adorable Shiba Inu puppy? This easy, step-by-step cartoon dog drawing tutorial is here to help. You will need on a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished cartoon.
See also, Easy Dog Drawing for Kids.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Shiba Inu
How to Draw a Great Looking Shiba Inu for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the dog's face. Use an "S" shaped line to craft the forehead and top of the snout. Then, draw an irregular rounded shape to form the nose. Draw a "U" shaped line beneath the nose to form the bottom of the snout and the smiling mouth. Draw a short, curved line beneath this to form the neck.
Easy Shiba Inu Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue to draw the dog's head. Sketch rounded triangular shapes to form the ears. Place a similar shape inside each ear. Then, use a curved line to form the back of the head and neck. Draw a long "S" shaped line from the nose down the neck, indicating a change in coloration. Draw a teardrop shape for the eye, and another above it to form the brow.
Easy Shiba Inu Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the dog's collar. Use long, curved lines to enclose the shape of the collar. Draw a circle beneath it to indicate the dog's name tag. Use a short, curved line to give the tag a three-dimensional appearance.
Easy Shiba Inu Drawing - Step 4
4. Use long, curved lines to sketch the dog's back and rear leg. Notice the pointed overlap of the lines on the back, indicating the texture of fur. Also, note the overlap at the tip of the foot that indicates the toes.
Easy Shiba Inu Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the foreleg. Use long lines to craft the leg and a short, curved line to form the front of the shoulder. Use overlapping "U" shaped lines to enclose the foot and form the toes.
Easy Shiba Inu Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a series of short, curved lines that meet at jagged points to form the patch of color on the dog's chest.
Easy Shiba Inu Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining foreleg using a series of long, curved lines. Note the jagged points that indicate a furry texture. Use "U" shaped lines to enclose the foot and form the toes.
Add More Details to Your Shiba Inu Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining rear leg using a pair of horizontal lines and overlapping "U" shaped lines to form the toes.
Complete the Outline of Your Shiba Inu Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the dog's curled, spiral-shaped tail. Note the furry "U" shaped lines at the base of the tail. Draw a zigzag line across the bottom of each leg, just above the paw.
Color Your Shiba Inu Drawing
Color your Shiba Inu. They are typically a combination of white, ginger, tan, red, or black. Then, check out our animal drawing guides, where you can find a whole pack of puppies and other pets.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Easy Dog Drawing Tutorials post.
For more easy dog drawing tutorials, see the collection of Creative Inspirations with Dog Drawings.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Unleash Your Inner Artist with Easy Step-by-Step Guides for Drawing Dogs page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Shiba Inu Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).