Learn how to draw a great looking Silhouette with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Silhouette drawing.
Silhouettes are drawn in profile, or from the side of the face. They resemble a shadow of the subject. You can learn how to draw a silhouette of a woman with the help of this cartoon drawing tutorial.
Paintings were very expensive and took a long time to create, with the subject sitting still for many hours, posing for days or weeks. A silhouette artist, however, could make an affordable likeness in just a few minutes.
The silhouette is named for Etienne de Silhouette, a French official of the 1700s. As the minister of finance, "his name was synonymous with doing things cheaply." He also enjoyed crafting silhouettes.
A similar artform was the cameo. Cameos consisted of a carving of a face or other image on a white or cream-colored stone, set upon a colored gemstone or glass bead. Cameos were worn as necklaces, brooches, and other jewelry articles.
You can use this silhouette drawing guide to learn the basics of silhouettes and train your eye to look for sharp, shadowy outlines.
Then, you can employ these skills in drawing personalized silhouettes of your friends and loved ones. How?
After you've practiced with this drawing, you can look at a photograph in profile and sketch the outline of the face.
Or, you can have your friend or relative sit between a bright light and a blank wall. If they sit very still, you can put a piece of paper on the wall and trace their shadow onto it!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Silhouette
How to Draw a Great Looking Silhouette for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a curved line to form the forehead, and a shorter line to indicate the upturned eyelashes.
Easy Silhouette Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue to draw the woman's face. Use curved lines to outline the triangle-like shapes of the nose and upper lip.
Easy Silhouette Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a curved line to outline the triangular lower lip and the rounded chin.
Easy Silhouette Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a long curved line from the top of the forehead to outline the shape of the hair.
Easy Silhouette Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw another curved line and a straight line to continue the outline of the hair. This is the top of the ponytail or a similar up-do.
Easy Silhouette Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw another long curved line, continuing the outline of the ponytail.
Easy Silhouette Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the bottom of the ponytail using a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points.
Add More Details to Your Silhouette Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a long curved line from the base of the chin to outline the front of the neck. Then, draw a horizontal straight line to complete the bottom of the drawing.
Complete the Outline of Your Silhouette Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a series of curved lines from the bottom of the drawing to the base of the ponytail, outlining the back of the neck and head.
Color Your Silhouette Drawing
Shade your cartoon silhouette. Traditionally, silhouettes were cut from black paper. You can shade yours in any color you would like.
Silhouette Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).