Learn how to draw a great looking Skull and Rose with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Skull and Rose.
The human skull has long served as a symbol of death and mortality in art. This is no more plainly seen than in the danse macabre or dance of death, an allegorical concept that arose in Europe during the Middle Ages.
The danse macabre presents death as the great equalizer - no matter one's station in life, death awaits them.
Danse macabre artwork often features skulls and dancing skeletons. This artistic style arose during the late 1300s and early 1400s, when the bubonic plague had killed nearly half of Europe's population.
Macabre themes still exist in art today. One example is the tattoo artist Ed Hardy's design featuring images similar to our illustration, along with phrases like "Love kills." It can be found on clothing, car accessories, and other products.
The Ed Hardy brand even sells a cologne called Skulls and Roses - the perfume bottle is shaped like a skull holding a rose stem between its teeth.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of a skull with roses? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pen or pencil and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
See also Beginner's Guide to Drawing a Rose.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Skull and Rose
How to Draw a Great Looking Skull and Rose for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the braincase and face of the skull. Use a long curved line. Draw another, shorter line overlapping the end of the first. Note the bulges of the zygomatic area beneath the eyes.
Easy Skull and Rose Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the area around the eyes, the orbital plate. For each orbit or eye socket, enclose an irregular rounded shape. Draw a curved line along the left side. Then, draw an eyebrow-like curved line above each eye.
Easy Skull and Rose Drawing - Step 3
3. Next, draw the nose - the perpendicular plate, the anterior nasal spine, the vomer, and the inferior nasal concha. Use a pair of curved lines to outline the bulge of the nose. Then, enclose two triangular shapes beneath it.
Easy Skull and Rose Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw two curved lines beneath the skull, and connect them with a long curved line. This forms the maxilla or upper jaw. Draw inverted “U” shaped lines to indicate the teeth.
Easy Skull and Rose Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of curved lines to enclose the lower jaw or mental foramen. Use “U” shaped lines to form the teeth, and a curved line to indicate the space between the bones.
Easy Skull and Rose Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the first of the roses. Enclose a double teardrop shape, and draw a curved line across it. From this, draw two curved lines that meet at a point. Continue to draw these pairs of lines in a circular or spiral pattern around the center. The lines should become longer as you go, enclosing a wider space. Each set of lines is one petal of the rose.
Easy Skull and Rose Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the second rose. Again, use pairs of lines that meet at curved triangular points to create the petals.
Add More Details to Your Skull and Rose Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the final flower, partially hidden behind the jawbones of the skull.
Complete the Outline of Your Skull and Rose Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw pairs of parallel curved lines between two of the roses and the skull. This forms the stem or vine. Use straight lines to enclose triangular thorns along the stem. Draw a leaf here and there, using two curved lines that meet at a point. Draw a curved line down the middle of each leaf to indicate the vein.
Color Your Skull and Rose Drawing
For more great Roses drawing tutorials, see the 50 Cute Roses Designs post.
For more easy rose drawing tutorials, see the collection of Beginner Tutorials to Drawing Roses.
For all flower drawings, see the Beginner Guides to Learn How to Draw Flowers page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Skull and Rose Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).