Learn how to draw a great looking Toucan with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Toucan.
"Ah, ah, eee, eee, tookie tookie!"
- Tookie Tookie the toco toucan, George of the Jungle
The toucan is a tropical bird famous for its large, colorful beak. There are about 15 species of toucan native to South and Central America. Smaller birds similar in appearance to toucans are called toucanets or aracaris.
Toucans are one of the most recognizable birds in the world, and as such, they are often used in advertising and popular culture.
A toucan was used to advertise Guinees beer during the 1930s and 1940s. The cartoon Toucan Sam has been the mascot of Froot Loops breakfast cereal for decades.
Hal, the Green Bird from Angry Birds, is a toucanet, and numerous animated movies and television series include toucan characters.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Zazu, the large-billed bird from Disney's The Lion King, is not actually a toucan. He is a hornbill, a bird with a similarly large beak that is native to Africa and Asia. Interestingly, George's toco toucan in George of the Jungle was geographically misplaced, as toucans do not live in Africa.
Would you like to draw a cartoon toucan? This easy, step-by-step cartoon animal drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pen, pencil, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Toucan
How to Draw a Great Looking Toucan for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin sketching the toucan's head using a series of curved lines to form the top of the head and the cheek.
Easy Toucan Drawing - Step 2
2. Use pairs of curved lines that meet at points on each end to form the crescent-shaped feathers on top of the head.
Easy Toucan Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend long, curved lines from the front of the head and near the bottom of the cheek. Allow them to meet at a downturned point to form the bird's large beak. Enclose the shape of the beak using a curved line. Then, draw another curved line from the point of the beak, dividing it into its upper and lower portions. Draw a short curved line at the end of this division. Finally, band the tip of the beak with a curved line.
Easy Toucan Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a curved line in the middle of the head, then use overlapping curved lines to enclose a circular shape above it. This forms the bird's eye. Draw several successively smaller circles within the eye and shade between them. Use curved lines to enclose a pointed shape above the eye and shade it, forming the eyebrow.
Easy Toucan Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to outline the toucan's feathered chest.
Easy Toucan Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a large "U" shaped line beneath the head, and enclose the open end with several smaller "U" shaped lines. This forms the upper wing. Then, use a series of overlapping curved lines to sketch the wing's long flight feathers. Use a curved line to connect the wing to the head, forming the neck.
Easy Toucan Drawing - Step 7
7. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to sketch the bird's perching toes and feet.
Add More Details to Your Toucan Picture - Step 8
8. Use a pair of long, curved lines to draw a tree branch beneath the toucan's feet. Use another pair of lines that meet at a point to draw a smaller twig emerging from the branch. Extend short, curved lines from the branch to form the veins of leaves. Use two curved lines that meet at a gentle point around each vein to enclose the leaf itself. Finally, texture the wood with curved lines of various shapes and sizes.
Complete the Outline of Your Toucan Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw several overlapping, "U" shaped lines below the tree branch to form the bird's tail.
Color Your Toucan Drawing
Color your cartoon toucan. Does its large beak look similar to a Pelican's beak?
For more great Bird drawing tutorials, see the 41 Bird Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Toucan Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).