Learn how to draw a great looking Eastern Bluebird with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Eastern Bluebird.
The eastern bluebird is one of the most beloved backyard songbirds in North America.
Bluebirds can be found year-round throughout the southeastern United States and parts of Mexico. In summer, they are found as far north as Canada, and sometimes as far south as Nicaragua.
Once in decline, bluebirds have prospered in recent years thanks to birders erecting dedicated bluebird houses. Bluebirds may also travel in flocks, especially near orchards.
The eastern bluebird is different in appearance than other birds with similar colors. Mountain bluebirds and indigo buntings, for example, are solid blue. Blue jays are much larger and have white and black markings.
The eastern bluebird has been depicted in many works of art, including those of John James Audubon. It is the state bird of both New York and Missouri. A bluebird named Kessie was featured in the animated television series The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (How to draw Winnie the Pooh drawing tutorial).
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a beautiful bluebird? This easy, step-by-step songbird drawing guide is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, pen, or marker and a sheet of paper. You may also want to shade your drawing with colored pencils or crayons.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing an Eastern Bluebird
How to Draw a Great Looking Eastern Bluebird for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching the bluebird's head. Use a curved line to form the top of the head. Then, use several curved lines to craft the roughly triangular beak. Finally, use another curved line to draw the neck beneath the beak.
Easy Eastern Bluebird Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend long, curved lines from the front and back of the neck, outlining the back and belly.
Easy Eastern Bluebird Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a "W" shaped line at the bottom of the bird's back. This outlines the wingtips. Then, draw a series of short, curved lines and "U" shaped lines from the "W" to the beak. This outlines the bird's coloration.
Easy Eastern Bluebird Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend a pair of lines from the wingtip to form the tail. Use a series of small, "U" shaped lines to enclose the tail at the bottom. Draw long, nearly straight lines down the length of the tail.
Easy Eastern Bluebird Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of short lines to connect the belly to the tail, allowing them to meet in jagged points. Notice the pair of longer lines that form the bird's upper leg.
Easy Eastern Bluebird Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend a pair of parallel straight lines from the upper leg, forming the lower leg. Then, enclose a "U" shape at the bottom of the leg to outline the grasping foot. At the back of the foot, enclose several curved shapes to form the claws.
Easy Eastern Bluebird Drawing - Step 7
7. Beyond the foot, draw a small circle. Connect it to the foot using a pair of straight lines. This begins the twig on which the bird is perched. Extend the lines beyond the foot. Just below the upper leg, draw a pointed, curved shape on top of the twig, indicating the other foot.
Add More Details to Your Eastern Bluebird Picture - Step 8
8. Detail and texture the bird. Use "U" shaped and "J" shaped lines of various sizes to add the texture of feathers to the wing. Use hatching to detail the head, neck, and chest.
Complete the Outline of Your Eastern Bluebird Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the beak with short lines. Draw a circular eye, with a much smaller circle inside it. Add dimension with short lines around the eye.
Color Your Eastern Bluebird Drawing
Color your bluebird. Eastern bluebirds have bright blue heads, backs, wings, and tails. The neck and chest are red or orange, and the belly is white. Male bluebirds have brighter colors than females.
For more great Bird drawing tutorials, see the 41 Cute Bird Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Eastern Bluebird Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).