Learn how to draw a great looking Valentine's Day Card with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Valentine's Day Card.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Would you like to learn how to draw a Valentine's Day card? With the help of this easy cartoon drawing tutorial, your valentine will be ready in no time.
What is Valentine's Day? Also called St. Valentine's Day, it is a social custom celebrated on February 14. On this day, "lovers express their affection with greetings and gifts."
The date and theme of romance date back to the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, which "included fertility rites and the pairing off of women with men by lottery."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
This holiday was banned by the pope during the fifth century. By the fourteenth century, it had grown into a celebration of love honoring one or more Christian martyrs by the name of Valentine - one who wrote a letter to his jailer's daughter before his death, and another who "secretly married couples to spare the husbands from war."
There are also variations of Valentine's Day celebrated by those without a romantic partner. February 13 has been dubbed "Galentine's Day" in celebration of platonic friendships, especially friendships among women. Some schools promote the holiday as "Friendship Day."
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Heart Hands, I Love You Heart, and Valentine Bear.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Valentine's Day Card
How to Draw a Great Looking Valentine's Day Card for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a ribbon or banner across the top of your page. First, draw a curved rectangle shape. Then, draw a small triangle under each of its bottom corners. On one side of the rectangle, use straight lines to enclose a partial square.
On the other side, draw a sideways "V" and connect it to the banner with slightly curved lines.
Easy Valentine's Day Card Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw two more banner segments beneath the first, each a curved horizontal rectangle. The middle one should be wider than the top one, the bottom one narrower.
Easy Valentine's Day Card Drawing - Step 3
3. Connect the middle and bottom banners with a pair of curved lines. Then, draw a curved line and a small triangle below the corners of the bottom banner. To one side, draw a sideways "V," and connect it to the banner using curved lines.
Easy Valentine's Day Card Drawing - Step 4
4. Connect the top and middle banners with a pair of curved lines. Draw a curved line below the middle banner as if a continuation of one of the lines.
Easy Valentine's Day Card Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a large heart partially hidden by the top banner section. Then, draw smaller hearts overlapping portions of the ribbon on each side.
Easy Valentine's Day Card Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase the lines from within the small hearts. Then draw large and small hearts overlapping the ends of the middle and bottom sections. Notice that two of the hearts are partially hidden behind the banner.
Easy Valentine's Day Card Drawing - Step 7
7. Write the word "HAPPY" in large, curling letters across the top section of the banner.
Add More Details to Your Valentine's Day Card Picture - Step 8
8. Write the word "VALENTINE'S" across the second section of the banner.
Complete the Outline of Your Valentine's Day Card Drawing - Step 9
9. Write the word "DAY" across the final section of the banner.
Color Your Valentine's Day Card Drawing
Color your cartoon Valentine's Day banner. We've used shades of red and pink in our example, the two colors most often associated with the holiday.
Drawing tip: Once you've mastered the steps in this drawing guide, you can make banners that say whatever you want! For example, you could replace the word "VALENTINE'S" with the name of any other special day - even make up your own! You can also adjust the lengths of the banners to accommodate shorter, longer, or more words. Get creative!
For more great Valentine's Day drawing tutorials, see the 15 Best Valentine's Day Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Valentine's Day Card Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).