Learn how to draw a great looking Yarn Ball with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Yarn Ball.
Would you like to learn how to draw a yarn ball? Our creative drawing guide is here to show you how.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Some types of yarn are synthetic or manmade, but others are made from the fur or wool of animals.
In popular culture, kittens are often depicted as playing with balls of yarn. The term "to spin a yarn," meaning to tell a long story, uses a double meaning - the tale is long, just as a strand of yarn is long.
Are your pencils ready? This easy, step-by-step cartoon yarn ball drawing tutorial will help you master the yarn ball outline in no time.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Yarn Ball
How to Draw a Great Looking Yarn Ball for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the yarn ball outline by drawing a circle. This outlines the first yarn ball. Then, add some texture and detail to its surface.
Draw curved lines - single or in pairs - to indicate the yarn wrapped around the ball. Notice that some of the lines meet as if the portions were overlapping.
Easy Yarn Ball Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw more curved lines. Where you drew single lines in the previous step, draw another line parallel to them. Then, band the ball with additional pairs of lines.
Easy Yarn Ball Drawing - Step 3
3. The yarn is narrow, so let's add more texture to the cartoon yarn ball. Draw parallel curved lines between the previous pairs of lines.
Easy Yarn Ball Drawing - Step 4
4. Continue drawing parallel lines between the previous pairs of lines.
Easy Yarn Ball Drawing - Step 5
5. Now, fill in the remaining sections with the texture of the yarn, using parallel curved lines.
Easy Yarn Ball Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a partial circle, one side hidden behind the existing yarn ball. This will become the second ball of yarn. Draw pairs of curved lines across it.
Notice how some lines seem to overlap with others. Does this shape look a bit like a volleyball to you?
Then, extend parallel "S" shaped lines from the first ball of yarn and connect them at the end. This is the loose end of the yarn.
Easy Yarn Ball Drawing - Step 7
7. Detail the second ball of yarn by drawing parallel lines between the existing pairs of lines.
Add More Details to Your Yarn Ball Picture - Step 8
8. Draw parallel lines across the open spaces on the ball of yarn.
Complete the Outline of Your Yarn Ball Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your yarn ball outline by extending parallel curved lines from the second yarn ball.
Allow them to meet at the end, forming the loose end of the yarn. Then, draw knitting needles sticking out of the ball of yarn.
For each needle, extend two slightly divergent curved lines from the yarn, erasing as necessary. At the top, connect the lines with a bulbous round shape.
Color Your Yarn Ball Drawing
Color your cartoon yarn ball. We've shade ours brightly in red and blue. What colors will yours be?
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Yarn Ball Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).