Learn how to draw a great looking Easy Cartoon Caterpillar with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Easy Cartoon Caterpillar.
Would you like to see your drawing skills transform from something small and squiggly to something amazing? Just like this easy cartoon caterpillar drawing, they can! Simply follow the step-by-step process below.
Caterpillars are made up of many segments. In this drawing guide, you will use overlapping oval shapes to draw the caterpillar's head, body, and antennae. Its many legs are teardrop shapes.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In fact, caterpillars differ from worms like the one in this worm drawing in that they have legs.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing an Easy Cartoon Caterpillar
How to Draw a Great Looking Easy Cartoon Caterpillar for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the easy cartoon caterpillar drawing by sketching the insect's head. Draw a large oval, but don't complete the top of it. Draw a small "C" shaped line on each side of the opening, then attach them in the middle with a curved line.
Easy Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw two ovals on the face, with smaller ovals inside them. Shade around the small ovals. These are the caterpillar's eyes. Draw its wide, "U" shaped smiling mouth between them.
Easy Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Drawing - Step 3
3. Begin drawing the many segments of the caterpillar's body. Use curved lines to sketch overlapping ovals. Then, draw a leg protruding from one of the segments. Use a curved line and double it back on itself to form an incomplete teardrop shape. Erase the side of the segment as necessary.
Easy Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw another segment using a curved line. Draw two more legs, each time extending a curved line and then doubling it back upon itself.
Easy Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw another segment and two more teardrop-shaped legs.
Easy Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw yet another body segment as well as two more teardrop-shaped legs.
Easy Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw two more body segments using curved lines. Then, draw a teardrop-shaped leg protruding from one of them.
Add More Details to Your Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Picture - Step 8
8. Draw another teardrop-shaped leg, then complete that segment with a curved line. Use two more curved lines to draw successively smaller segments, finishing the caterpillar's tail.
Complete the Outline of Your Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Drawing - Step 9
9. Extend two curved lines from the caterpillar's head. Draw a small oval at the end of each line. These are the caterpillar's antennae or feelers.
Color Your Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Drawing
Your easy cartoon caterpillar outline is now complete. Color the baby bug. We've shaded ours bright green, but caterpillars come in a myriad of colors. For example, the monarch butterfly caterpillar has narrow stripes of black, white, and yellow along its body.
You can learn how to draw the adult monarch butterfly here.
For more great cute & easy animal drawing tutorials, see the collection of How to Draw Cute & Easy Animals for Kids.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Easy Cartoon Caterpillar Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).