Learn how to draw a great looking Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street.
We can thank Bert and Ernie for the Muppet/human interaction that has made Sesame Street so famous.
When a test episode was shown, the only Muppets included were this dynamic duo, and briefly at that. This skit was the most well-received, so producers decided to populate the world of Sesame Street with brightly colored puppets.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Occasionally, Bert and Ernie also cross over into the world of The Muppet Show.
Did you know? Bert and Ernie might be named after minor characters in the famous film It's a Wonderful Life. The movie featured a policeman named Bert and a taxi driver by the name of Ernie.
Would you like to draw Bert and Ernie? Now you can, with the aid of this easy, step-by-step Sesame Street drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street
How to Draw a Great Looking Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing Bert's head. Use two curved lines to outline the head, forming an oval shape that is open on top and bottom. Enclose the top opening by using a series of curved lines to outline his pointed hair. Then, use a curved line to enclose an ear on each side of the head.
Easy Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw Bert's body. Use curved lines to draw his turtleneck collar, also enclosing the bottom of the head. Then, draw two "V" shaped lines beneath this collar, forming the v-neck of his sweater. Use a pair of lines to outline his torso and each of his arms.
Easy Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw Bert's face. Enclose a narrow curved rectangle to indicate his large eyebrow or unibrow. Draw a circle to indicate each eye, a smaller circle within it to form the pupil. Behind the eyes, form the nose from a large oval, and use a curved line to draw the mouth.
Easy Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a long curved line to outline the shape of Ernie's face.
Easy Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a series of curved lines to enclose the shape of Ernie's hair. Notice how the lines meet at sharp points, forming locks.
Easy Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 6
6. Use a curved line to enclose a semi-circular ear on each side of Ernie's head. Then, use a long curved line to outline the collar of his shirt. Finally, outline his shoulders using curved lines.
Easy Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw Ernie's arm, erasing guide lines as necessary. Use a curved line to draw the arm, and enclose a curved shape to form the sleeve's cuff. Use a series of curved and "U" shaped lines to outline the hand and fingers. Band the cuff and collar with short curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Picture - Step 8
8. Draw Ernie's face. Draw a circle for his nose, overlapping the ovals that form his eyes. Draw a small circle within each eye to indicate the pupil, and use "U" shaped lines to form the smiling mouth and tongue. Contour the tongue with a straight line down the middle.
Complete the Outline of Your Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 9
9. Embellish Bert and Ernie's clothing with stripes.
Color Your Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Drawing
Color Bert and Ernie. Ernie is typically orange in color, while Bert is yellow. Then, check out our character drawing guides, where you'll find more of your favorite friends from Sesame Street.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Bert and Ernie from Sesame Street Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).