Draw a great looking Big Bird from Sesame Street with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
This character has permanently nested in popular culture - not just behind a New York brownstone or in a furnished maple tree.
Big Bird is one of two Muppet characters to have earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and he made numerous appearances on the television show Hollywood Squares and in commercial advertisements.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
He has been named a "living legend" by the United States Library of Congress.
Did you know? Big Bird doesn't always look the same in Sesame Street's international versions. For example, in the Dutch version of the show, Bird Bird's character is blue in color and goes by the name Pino.
Would you like to draw the childlike Big Bird? Now you can, with the help of this easy, step-by-step Sesame Street drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Big Bird from Sesame Street
1. Begin by drawing Big Bird's head. Use a series of small, connected, "U" shaped lines to outline a circular shape. Each "U" indicates one of Big Bird's feathers.
2. Use a series of short curved lines and "U" shaped lines to draw the side of his neck and the outside of his arm. Then, use a series of curved lines to draw the top of the arm. Enclose the end of the arm by drawing the three-fingered hand. Notice the pointed tips of the fingers.
3. Use a series of connected short curved lines and "U" shaped lines to outline Big Bird's neck, chest, and belly.
4. Use a series of short curved lines to enclose Big Bird's remaining arm, or wing.
5. Use a series of longer curved lines and a wavy line to enclose Big Bird's tail. Notice that one line diverges from the others, with a small irregular shape enclosed at the end. This is Big Bird's famous stray feather.
6. Draw two feathers on top of Big Bird's head, using two curved lines for each. Allow each set of lines to meet at sharp points. Next, draw Big Bird's eyes. For each, draw a small circle with an even smaller circle inside it. Use curved lines to indicate his drooping eyelids. Finally, use several "V" shaped lines with rounded points to sketch Big Bird's beak. Enclose the end using a curved line.
7. Use a curved line to enclose the rounded "W" shape of Big Bird's hand.
8. Draw Big Bird's legs. For each leg, draw a curved shape, followed by a pair of short lines, and then another curved shape. Repeat until the desired length is reached.
9. Enclose Big Bird's feet. For each foot, use a series of overlapping curved lines.
Color Big Bird. He is famously bright yellow in color, with orange legs and feet.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).