Learn how to draw a great looking Bulbasaur with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Bulbasaur.
Bulbasaur, the Seed Pokémon, is a dual-type Grass and Poison Pokémon of Generation I. Its name is a combination of the words "bulb," referring to the plant on its back, and "dinosaur," describing its saurian appearance.
Bulbasaur first appeared in the Pokémon animated series episode entitled "Bulbasaur and the Hidden Village," in which he was defeated by Pikachu and captured by Ash.
Along with Charmander and Squirtle, Bulbasaur is one of the three starter Pokémon from which a trainer can choose on the early Pokémon games.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
They are rare in the wild; most Bulbasaur are raised by Pokémon breeders for distribution to new trainers. Bulbasaur may evolve into Ivysaur at level 16, and Venusaur at level 32. Each year, many Bulbasaur gather in the Kanto region to evolve into Ivysaur during a special ceremony.
The plant on Bulbasaur's back grows from a seed that is planted there at its birth. This plant provides Bulbasaur with energy via photosynthesis, and it essential to many of Bulbasaur's fighting moves.
Would you like to draw a grinning Bulbasaur? This easy, step-by-step Pokémon drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a piece of paper, a pencil, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Bulbasaur, I choose you!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Bulbasaur Pokémon
How to Draw a Great Looking Bulbasaur for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an oval. This will form the basis for Bulbasaur’s head.
Easy Bulbasaur Drawing - Step 2
2. Detail the shape of the head. Add ears by enclosing triangular shapes on top of the head. Notice how the tips of the ears are rounded. Use a curved line to detail the shape of the jaw.
Easy Bulbasaur Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the back of the head using a short, curved line. Then, enclose the rounded shape of the body.
Easy Bulbasaur Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw Bulbasaur’s legs. For each leg, extend a pair of curved lines from the upper body. Draw small rounded triangles to form the claws, enclosing the foot in the process.
Easy Bulbasaur Drawing - Step 5
5. Sketch the rear legs using curved lines. Notice the rounded nature of the squatting legs. Use small rounded triangles to form the claws.
Easy Bulbasaur Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase guide lines from the head and body.
Easy Bulbasaur Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the plant that resides on Bulbasaur’s back. Extend two curved lines from the back, nearly enclosing a semicircle shape. Connect the lines using a series of “V” shaped lines. Then, use curved lines to enclose additional parts of the plant on either side of this shape. Connect these lines to the center of the plant using small “V” shaped lines.
Add More Details to Your Bulbasaur Picture - Step 8
8. Draw spots on Bulbasaur’s forehead, legs, and back. In each set of spots, include a large, rounded, roughly diamond shaped spot, and one or more smaller, triangular spots.
Complete the Outline of Your Bulbasaur Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail Bulbasaur’s face. Use curved lines to enclose Bulbasaur’s large, smiling mouth. Draw a curved line through the mouth to indicate the tongue, and two small, inverted triangles at the top of the mouth to indicate teeth. Enclose teardrop shapes to form the eyes. Indicate the iris of the eye using a curved line, and a narrow oval for the pupil. Indicate the eyebrows and nostrils using short lines.
Color Your Bulbasaur Drawing
10. Color your Bulbasaur. He is typically turquoise or bluish green in color, with a pink tongue, green spots, and a green plant on his back.
Are you training to be the next Pokémon master? Learning to draw this and other fantastic Pokémon is a great place to start. Hone your skills with our selection of cartoon character drawing guides, where you'll discover Pikachu, Charizard, and many others. You might even find a few legendary Pokémon!
For more great Pokemon drawing tutorials, see the 18 Step-by-Step Pokemon Drawing Guides post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Bulbasaur Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).